The answers to some can be presumed by the spring sports.
by revressbo (2020-07-09 23:41:42)
Edited on 2020-07-09 23:42:31

In reply to: Presume no football this year. What happens to. . .  posted by NDLAW88

If the season is completely cancelled, it's reasonable to assume that scholarship numbers will be increased next season (to account for next year's freshmen) and that all players (not just seniors) will be granted an extra year of eligibility (essentially six years to play four instead of the current five years to play four). That's based on the NCAA's decision in regards to the spring sports. To what extent the number of scholarships will be increased, for how many years and how they'll be decreased is uncertain. (My guess is it'll be something like 100 in 2021, decreasing by five each year until it's down to 85 again in 2024.)

I think it's also likely the roster limit (currently 105) will be increased to be 20 above whatever the scholarship limit is. That's also based on a spring sport, baseball, which had its roster size for next year increased.

As far as #2, my guess would be freshmen would be bound to their LOI, and similarly transfers would be forced to sit out a season. However, if a player transfers in the next six weeks, he presumably would be eligible next fall. The other thing to keep in mind is the NCAA was rumored to be extremely close to essentially allowing any player the opportunity to transfer once without having to sit out a year and if that happens, that renders the discussion a bit moot.

Replies: