There is no extra cost
by gregmorrissey (2020-07-10 12:31:59)

In reply to: I think "6 for 4" would be bad from an equity standpoint  posted by NavyJoe

Look, I'm not arguing this as if it is obviously the right plan. I don't know the right answer more than anyone else. No matter which plan you choose someone is going to get hurt. You can't experience something like this pandemic without some pain. I just think this is the simplest and fairest plan.

Again, my point in the 6 for 4 is not to add an extra 20 scholarships. The limits stay where they are. If anything it helps the smaller schools because they are going to be able to pick up some high quality transfer talent. There will be a lot of transfers, and a lot of "lesser" athletes will probably lose scholarships entirely. As with anything of this nature, there are unforeseen consequences as well. But, personally, I like this idea better than the other two options:
1 Do nothing. I'm sorry you lost a year of eligibility but that's life
2 Let schools carry an extra 20 or 25 scholarships for a certain number of years which of course helps the bigger schools way more and puts additional financial stress on the whole system.

As far as educational, my understanding is that most students are pursuing masters in their 5th years. I might be completely wrong and that might only be happening at places like Notre Dame.

Replies: