In my plan, the numbers DO NOT CHANGE!
by gregmorrissey (2020-07-10 16:36:33)

In reply to: I cannot promote a legitimate alternative solution  posted by jt

1 - 6 to play 4 is irrelevant to the sports landscape collapsing. If all non-revenue sports are dropped then it doesn't matter if it was 20 to play 4 as there wouldn't be a sport to play. The original question was how to handle scholarships in the event sports are cancelled this year.

2 - you keep addressing seniors as if Fresh/Soph/Juniors aren't also losing a year of eligibility. If seniors/anyone with eligibility decides to leave before exhausting eligibility then that is their choice. If they aren't offered the opportunity to continue at their current school then they have the option to transfer. If no other school wants them either then they move on with life. 6 to play 4 is simply increasing the options for exhausting their eligibility.

3 - Your "solution" only addresses football which is fine for a football board, but you are also quick to bring up the non-revenue sports that are set to be sacrificed. Hard to have it both ways. The NFLPA can certainly follow with your suggestion. Not sure how it applies to the vast majority of the athletes that aren't going to the NFL, haven't completed 4 years of play, and whose universities/coaches still want them on the team because of the value they bring.

4 - As it pertains to clogging up the system, the demand side (140,000 scholarships available) stays exactly the same while the supply side (athletes competing for those scholarships) increases. There is nothing to clog up. Some athletes that would have received scholarships previously will not due to the increased competition. The same thing has happened throughout the last 50 years as men's sports were dropped for Title IX and football scholarship limits were enacted. Most likely you would have smaller Freshman classes for 2021 to 2026 and then things would return to how they are now. It would probably be sooner than that but that looks like the max year based on my quick calculation.

There would be increased transfers and roster management which has been the trend for awhile.

What other issues could there possibly be?

As an example, Brian Cardinal was at Purdue for almost 10 years I believe. It wasn't because he was guaranteed the opportunity but because the staff at Purdue felt it was better to retain him after another medical redshirt than it was to recruit another Freshman. Were you complaining that it wasn't fair that another kid that would have otherwise had a scholarship to Purdue didn't because Brian Cardinal was on his fifth medical redshirt?

The numbers are much larger than one athlete, but the calculation is the same. But you have to decide pretty much in the next 8 weeks so everyone can plan accordingly as it pertains to the early signing period.

Replies: