Honestly, i don't know why I'm still responding
by gregmorrissey (2020-07-10 19:49:54)

In reply to: smh  posted by jt

And I don't know if you are having this conversation in good faith or just bored on a Friday and enjoy the back and forth on a board that's been mostly dead for at least a month now.

I thought I made it clear, but apparently I didn't. I'm purposely not taking into consideration the ramifications of no football on available scholarships. But regardless, my point is still that I don't consider it fair to count an abandoned season against a player's eligibility. And it certainly isn't fair relative to doing it just because you are trying to limit the competition for those available scholarships. But, for reasons I don't really understand yet, you seem to think it is 1) worth the players' risking illness to potentially avoid a long-simmering collegiate sports catastrophe or 2) okay to tell current athletes to pound sand on losing a year of eligibility as opposed to letting "market dynamics" dictate the awarding of scholarships based on merit. I'll just have to disagree on both accounts because I don't think any college athlete should take risk "for the greater good", and I don't think they should be unnecessarily punished because the alternative is some "hard choices" about telling an end of the bench player that things have changed and there isn't a scholarship available for them.

And, honestly, I don't want to come across as "post-hunting", but you are definitely spouting nonsense throughout the board today. You want to argue definitive repercussions if no games but shut down every comment that there definitely won't be games/fans this year with a "let's wait and see" approach. You're talking about TV ratings and the contract as if they are set in stone. You nor I have any certainty as to the NBC contract or any other TV contract, but it is possible that there is clawback/earnout language in at least some of the contracts for diminished games and poor ratings. Lastly, is reference to sponsorship within the stadium. I know it's fun to hate on ND here about all things stadium-related, but I don't recall any advertising being blasted over the jumbotron or anywhere else within the stadium for that matter which is exactly what was promised. Perhaps you were referring to other universities.

Replies: