Dozens?
by DBCooper (2021-11-20 21:07:27)
Edited on 2021-11-20 21:11:17

In reply to: There are dozens of coaches who could post similar results  posted by ndzippy

I’m not sure why it’s so hard to look at Kelly as a good coach. Not good enough to take ND to the level of Bama, Clemson, or OSU, but also not as bad as the previous 3 coaches here and certainly not just equal to dozens of other coaches. If he retires tomorrow he would leave the program in a pretty good spot. Maybe he is the Buck Showalter of football coaches.

I have no problem moving on from Kelly because for me NDs number 1 goal is to win the championship and if you can’t get it done, or at least proven to be close, in 12 years, you just aren’t good enough to do it. Nothing wrong with being a good coach. We just need better. However, I do not have confidence JS would identify a successor who would take us to that level and frankly, outside of the handful of guys who probably would be tough pulls, I have no idea who that obvious choice would be. Maybe Fickell, maybe the BC or Baylor coach after another year or 2. But, my former dream pick, Urban is completely out now, I don’t see Dabo, Smart or Day leaving. Saban might have been an option years ago but not anymore. So who else are can’t miss guys?

The favorite coaches to replace Kelly before this season here were Mullen and Campbell. Mullen might get fired from Florida and Campbell is the coach of a .500 team in the weak Big 12.

That doesn’t mean we just sit here with Kelly and be content. But I never understand this confirmation bias people can’t shake because they just want to prove that Kelly is not at the level of Saban or Dabo. It’s like saying Phillip Rivers is not a good quarterback because he is not at the level of Brady or Manning. It can be two things. He can be a very good coach, just not good enough. Plenty of coaches in sports fit this label. It should not be enough for ND, but we also should not be chicken little shouting about every negative decision he makes and making dumb comments that any other coach would do that same here. You keep crying about Kelly as just an average coach no one is going to listen to you.

Replies: