What comparative evidence would you present to the contrary?
by tdiddy07 (2021-11-22 12:44:29)

In reply to: Kelly has maxed out? Very dumb statement *  posted by Vairishfan1

His best teams still by and large get the crap beat out of them by elite teams. Although assistant coaching changes and hiring philosophies that were forced on him have, indeed, elevated his results above what had been the norm before this. That is improvement. But that gets us to going from being a ranked team every other year to consistently being a top 15 team. I acknowledge the improvement. But that standard still includes getting embarrassed by top programs, what, 2/3-3/4 of the time we play them?

Why is there reason to think we'll move up from that actually contend? I supposed you could have confidence in improved recruiting from Freeman. We may end up elevating the talent level on defense. We won't really know if he will be enough to improve that for probably another 1-2 years. This class isn't that much different from prior classes. The 2023 class has a promising start. We'll see how that goes.

On defense, when Freeman leaves, will Kelly still go outside his comfort zone to hire top coaching talent? That's still a serious question mark.

On offense, Kelly has still not shown the ability to develop quarterbacks. And we're putting our eggs in the basket of a guy next year who needs serious developmental help, though a lot of people like his raw athleticism.

I think the burden is on the party to explain why this isn't a ceiling. Calling that position a "very dumb statement" just reeks of ignorance. Even someone optimistic that growth could continue would be blind not to recognize reasons for skepticism.