I will grant you that he's brought consistency.
by austindomer (2021-11-20 22:23:22)

In reply to: Dozens?  posted by DBCooper

I do not like Kelly. But I agree that he's a decent coach. Not a great coach (Swinney) and certainly not an elite coach (Saban, Meyer).

Someone on this board a few days ago pointed out the dumpster fires going on at Texas, Florida, USC, and a few other programs and made a good point: Notre Dame has weathered the last few years fairly well, while other formerly elite programs have foundered. Since 2016, Kelly has had Notre Dame winning consistently and recruiting near the top 10.

Now, we here know that the losses during that run have been utterly brutal and an average class ranking of 13 over the last 6 years* (assuming we end up around 7 next signing day) is not nearly good enough for Notre Dame. But Kelly has brought a consistency to the program that we haven't seen since the Holtz years. If nothing else, Kelly is a good enough coach to have stabilized what was a sinking ship, admittedly with a little help from Jack's shitty schedules. He will leave the program in far better shape than he received it.

That's about the best you can say about his tenure.

*247sports rankings: 2017: 10, 2018: 10, 2019: 15, 2020: 18, 2021: 9, 2022: ~7

Replies: