BK vs Lou
by 1nd1 (2021-02-16 16:32:17)

It seems the comparison lately always centers around Lou vs B.K. Being an individual who became a real fan during the Era of Ara, these threads and comparisons become almost ridiculous.
When Ara was coach the so called BIG fans clambered for the offenses that Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas were running while the Irish played the old smash mouth football. Even though Ara claimed 2 National championships. Lou came a long a few years later and brought with him the offense that the above mentioned teams found so much success with and won a championship, but those big fans wanted the offense that Miami was running, lots of passing and flash with a huge helping of thug while USC had the same. Old Boo Hoo Lou was behind the times cried the big fans. Bye bye Lou. After the “players coach” tried, the politically correct coaching choice, and the great architect of the pro football dynasty was brought in to bring about moving the Irish into modern football.
BK took a moribund program that had been left with a lopsided player distribution top heavy with offensive weapons but no defense, ND had no reputation of being a defensive development university although once in a while that 2 or 3 star would surprise. Now 4 stars are regularly expressing interest and signing, yet the big fans moan about 5 stars.
BK has shown the ability to stabilize a program, has more 10 win seasons than any other coach in ND history while playing 12 regular season games. Yet the big fans detest him.
Kind of wondering why the big fans can’t appreciate how much better ND is than the 100 or so other BCS teams, all the while putting out a finished product at graduation that for the most part represents themselves, the University and becoming solid successful citizens.
Would I love a National Championship? YES! Would I love to be in the discussion for the National Championship every year? YES,
Would I like so see the values of the University compromised to achieve National Championships putting used up athletes into society that can barely speak the English language. No!
Big fans aren’t all they profess to be.

Replies: