Lou Somogyi Sad News
by Jh_chi (2021-04-18 10:47:00)

Class of '80, St. Joe High
by hythloday  (2021-04-20 20:46:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou was among the most unassuming of classmates. But a man of integrity. His knowledge of and passion for Irish football may well be unmatched.

Way too soon. Rest in peace.

Always a joy to read *
by RJD  (2021-04-19 16:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Far too soon. *
by PWK2  (2021-04-19 16:26:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terribly sad. I’m not sure I’ve heard of anyone so often
by beancounter  (2021-04-19 12:48:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

described as “kind” by those that knew him. Rest In Peace.

I believe he said that he got into ND...
by bill_brasky  (2021-04-19 12:04:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because his mother worked in the dining hall and at that time employees' family members could attend school. I hope I have that right. Maybe he was underselling himself. Who knows. Anyway, I always thought that was a cool story. RIP Lou. Seemed like a great guy.

A story to showcase his unmatched knowledge of ND sports
by mocopdx  (2021-04-19 10:39:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From Leigh Torbin:

"2014, Everett Golson runs for three TDs vs. UNC. Mike Bertsch and I are ripping through old box scores trying to figure out if it’s an ND record for a QB. We ask Lou. He INSTANTLY says Paul Hornung did it vs. North Carolina in 1956. Sure enough, he was right. That was Lou."

RIP, Lou. You meant a lot to my childhood.

Stunning. Just horrible news *
by sprack  (2021-04-19 10:27:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beyond his love for ND
by SBDomer (click here to email the poster)  (2021-04-19 08:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many here have posted about Lou's love for ND and his work at many different media outlets. That love was unmatched and that work spanned decades. He's been writing about ND sports at least since a school newspaper article after the horrifying ND loss at Southern Cal when we were in 7th grade.

Beyond all of that, he was a kind, humble and gentle man. He was always good for a conversation, in the Side Door Deli at Martin's on 23 or after 5:00 Sunday Mass at St. Joe, where he was a regular. He spoke with you and really listened, really cared what you had to say. We were high school classmates and teammates, and even though our roads diverged long ago, every conversation with him, no matter how much time passed, was friendly and fulfilling. There was a peace about him, and a heartfelt earnestness that always left you feeling good for having run into him.

RIP Louie!

Well put SBD
by ND8486  (2021-04-19 12:22:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Louie was a really special man. He would always spend a minute catching up from our college days and ND football, most often on the sidewalk after Mass at St Joe.

We will miss his stewrdship of ND sports writing and also the gentleman he always had been.

I bought B&G in 80's while living in SB, he was great writer *
by discNDav  (2021-04-19 06:55:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. I remember Lou from his student days on The Observer.
by VaDblDmr  (2021-04-18 23:21:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd also hear him now and then on the radio with Bill King. That sucks. RIP.

Sad to hear, got to meet him through my Dad a number of yrs
by Stonebreaker42  (2021-04-18 20:23:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ago. Recall reading his work back on those half-fold B&G newspapers back in the late 80s, seemed like a genuine ND guy and a fountain of info. They don’t make people with his passion and knowledge of ND anymore, a loss for the entire ND family.

Re: Lou
by IrishRed  (2021-04-18 20:17:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a credit to his profession and a great ambassador for Notre Dame. He was almost always well-informed, well-written and well-spoken. Journalists like Lou are rare today where any joker/blogger with a computer and internet connection can "report news".
He gained a wealth of knowledge about the school and its programs over the years and was a great resource. This loss will leave a big gap at BGI.
Prayers for Lou, his family and friends. May he rest in peace.

So sorry to hear this. I didn't know him, but he was with
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2021-04-18 19:10:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the Observer when I was at school. I've subscribed to B&G almost since the beginning (originally Irish Illustrated I believe), and have received the paper ever since. Lou the primary reason why I continued.

Prayers to his family, friends and colleagues.

Lou
by Irish-al  (2021-04-19 16:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I met Lou at one of the old Smokers and he was gracious enough to give me a few minutes of his time to chat about the upcoming game.
The Magazine he eventually edited was. Called "Go Irish"

Very sad. I always listened/read to his posts. RIP *
by notra_dahm  (2021-04-18 18:49:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I loved to read Lou’s articles on BGI
by Buckyd9  (2021-04-18 18:44:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I never had the pleasure to meet him in person, but from what I’ve heard, he was a Notre Dame man through and through.

Awful news.

Really good guy.....
by Wolfetone  (2021-04-18 17:46:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I go back to year one when it was The Football Report and owned by a lady
from Columbia U. Then it morphed into The Fightin'Irish Report if memory
serves and finally into Blue and Gold Illustrated. I had a WATS at work
and would call him frequently and bullshit for 30 minutes or so. Always
had time for me and we talked about everything from Beano Cook(who called
me once at home)to ND hoops. He enjoyed talking to subscribers and knew
his goods. I will say a prayer for him but he probably doesn't need it.

Incredibly kind and approachable man. Heartbreaking news. *
by DawsonMayes871  (2021-04-18 17:45:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Very sorry to hear this news.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-04-18 17:02:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had his Twitter page bookmarked. He was great on the historical stats and more importantly, he understood the legacy of Notre Dame football as as the shadows keep getting longer between the champions of the past and today's teams.

I can't believe he was younger than me. He was taken too soon but he's in Our Lord's hands now. Rest in peace.

So sad. What a shock. *
by Badin87  (2021-04-18 16:59:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou’s Passing
by POLKAJOE  (2021-04-18 16:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had the opportunity to get a message from Lou in regards to the Ole Miss game back in 1977 I pointed out that it was played in Jackson at War Memorial Stadium and not in Oxford. He was very thankful for pointing that out because he assumed all of the big SEC games Ole MIss played back then were played in Jackson (Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State)
Blue & Gold Illustrated will never be the same and have been a loyal reader since 1983 when I believe it was Go Irish
RIP Lou will miss all the insight that you gave to all of us

Very sad indeed-RIP
by NDPittsburgh  (2021-04-18 15:53:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I too enjoyed his insights like so many others

He was the platinum standard for covering ND football
by Jvan  (2021-04-18 15:09:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And he was an even better person.

This seems to be echoed by everyone who knew him.
by baronbutler  (2021-04-18 22:27:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I only knew his writing but am saddened at the loss to ND and those who knew him.

Yep. My entry into all this was via the BGI magazine circa
by btd  (2021-04-18 17:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1982/1983. He has always been the best of that bunch. I don't know how BGI will keep going sans him. He was really their only true insider that had decades of ND history to draw upon in his articles and analysis. He struck me as the best person too. I never met him, but he was a friendlier person than Priester, etc.

Horrible news.
by The Holtz Room  (2021-04-18 14:55:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve been reading his work and listening to his commentary/podcasts for a long time.

Always enjoyed his insight
by Up the Irish  (2021-04-18 14:51:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was an encyclopedia of Notre Dame football. RIP Lou.

An honorable and revered man, fall won't be the same. *
by Indy77  (2021-04-18 14:49:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s sad. RIP. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-04-18 14:15:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou and I worked on The Observer together ...
by CJC  (2021-04-18 13:55:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lou really loved Notre Dame and he really loved people.

What a shock and what a loss.

Great ND man. I am so sad.
by OLDTOWNIRISH  (2021-04-18 13:35:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hope that the late Art Best, Pete Demmerle, and some of his other favorites were able to help welcome him to his Eternal Reward. Rest In Peace, good man.

Prayers for Lou and family...my favorite Irish beat writer *
by caber  (2021-04-18 13:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one hurts. God bless and RIP Lou. You were the best. *
by Fresno Mike  (2021-04-18 12:52:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Terrible news. I loved reading his stuff.
by IrishLep  (2021-04-18 12:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of my favorite parts of the week when I was a kid is when my dad would get the Blue and Gold paper in the mail. You could really tell how much he loved ND through his writings and interviews. A ND encyclopedia. Ready easy, Lou. 58 is far too young

So sad
by Leahy  (2021-04-18 12:15:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was a good friend.
A kind gentle man who was a giant in his industry.
This is a tough one to swallow.
Rest in peace buddy

R.I.P. Lou *
by Porpoiseboy  (2021-04-18 11:58:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

RIP Lou, YOU will be Missed....A Class Act *
by ND Harvey  (2021-04-18 11:53:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This one gets to me
by Tjmcfly  (2021-04-18 11:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A heart attack at 58.

Lou understood Notre Dame. I could fall asleep to his dull, droning monotone pod-cast voice anytime I had a bit too much on my mind. RIP Lou.

Lou was a great man.
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-04-18 11:34:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shocking to read this.

I remember talking to Lou over the years about all things ND. His passion always rang through.

I noticed yesterday that his twitter activity had trickled down to nothing in the last month and wondered if everything was ok. Maybe there was no correlation, but I found it odd.

RIP Lou.

Best to ever cover Irish sports *
by SBJimbo  (2021-04-18 11:32:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect that Lou and Joe Doyle are having some...
by Fresno Mike  (2021-04-18 15:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...great conversations.

So difficult to believe . . . R I P Lou . . . *
by other_guy  (2021-04-18 11:21:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. So sad. Back in the Stone Age receiving the Blue and
by 512  (2021-04-18 11:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Gold in the mail was the best part of the week. I still have a signed copy hanging in my garage with Rocket on the cover he gave me for my birthday.

We would run home from school to get it out of the mailbox.
by cpprhead59  (2021-04-18 22:08:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was a huge part of my childhood in the mid-80s-early 90s. . God bless Lou and his family.

Yep. I started with that paper the first year it came out
by btd  (2021-04-18 17:26:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back then (circa 1982) ND was still only on TV 1-2 games per year and radio for all others. I heard the ad and my parents subscribed and it was the best thing ever ~20 times per year. He was the best reporter they had from day one IMO.

He was a joy to read...
by Irishdemon  (2021-04-18 11:52:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of us know the history back and forth already anyway but you always learned something new from Lou Somogyi.

It was just a small thing but personally I used to love how he would draw parallels between Lou's career and Ara's - often finding remarkable similarities. Again, not a big deal but I used to love that in particular.

And always the smart voice of reason,
by SorinBasement  (2021-04-18 14:27:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

compared to some others who wrote for B&G Illustrated.

Well said. He will be missed. *
by MobileIrish  (2021-04-18 12:15:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Awful news. He always seemed like a real good guy. R.I.P. *
by Moff  (2021-04-18 11:08:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Whoa!
by ribs  (2021-04-18 11:00:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Truly awful. Not sure there has been a better journalist covering Notre Dame athletics. This is a massive loss.

Wow. That's young.
by Raoul  (2021-04-18 10:59:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I recall he was writing for the Observer covering ND sports when I was at ND. I think he was a year ahead of me. So he did that pretty much his whole adult life. RIP Lou. We enjoyed your work.