Who wouldn't be nice to a 4th grader?
by jakam31 (2024-04-15 14:02:54)

In reply to: In re: getting offers  posted by ACross

Me. Except it wasn't a 4th Grader. It was a 2nd Grader.

My daughter is 9. Plays travel softball. Last winter she got invited to the team because she played volleyball for one of the coaches and she is "tall and athletic."

She had never played softball before. It was an adjustment and I failed miserably as a father. I told her point blank she was the worst kid on the team and that, in all likelihood, she wouldn't play a single inning. Her response was remarkable.

"But I can get better, right Daddy?"

Of course you can, sweetheart. And your father is a miserable piece of shit who was too proud to have his own kid be the one who needs the most work. I coach her team now and she has worked herself to the point where she looks like she belongs.

What I have realized about most parents - myself included - is that we think if someone would have just worked with us earlier. Pushed us a bit harder. It might have helped us overcome our own shortcomings when we were playing and made a difference. The reality is that its the same as it ever was and only a select few will ever get paid to play. The sooner you realize this is all a fun ride for about 14-15 years until they graduate high school, the sooner you will enjoy being part of it.

I am still working on that part myself.

Replies: