Do we have a candidate city to house the HoSM?
by SixShutouts66 (2024-01-01 11:37:30)
Edited on 2024-01-02 13:19:07

The House of Sustained Mediocrity deserves to expand from its virtual home on ndnation and perhaps expand to cover other sports. I'm undecided myself whether the deserving city should be selected on the basis of sustained mediocrity for that city's franchise or being a blah city that needs an iconic place to visit.

My birth city of Seattle and my first location after graduating (Anaheim) are certainly candidates for sustained baseball mediocrity. Seattle's first team left after one year and can be aptly called "The We Hardly Knew Ya Pilots". The currect rendition has wallowed in mediocrity except for one year when they made the AL finals. The Angels seem a perennial .500 team, barring one brief World Series win. Both teams are ideal teams to bring a child to see. You have a high probability of a win; yet you most likely will see a future Hall of Famer (A-Rod, Edgar, Ichiro, Griffey, Reggie, Trout, Nolan, Shohei).

Other candidate cities (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) have had long periods of sustained mediocrity, followed by bursts of championship play. Others (St Louis Browns, Kansas City, Washington) have moved on and been replaced by non-mediocrity.

There are a number of non-mej cities that would rejoice in having the HoSM, but they've never been MLB cities. Perhaps we should relent on the MLB city part

do we have the inaugural class yet? *
by kdh325  (2024-01-06 19:14:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes we are starting from scratch after the board wipe
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-07 19:39:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Inaugural class is Jamie Quirk and Mike Jorgensen, as outlined in point 3 of my New Year’s drivel (linked). Anyone may put forward new names on a rolling basis.

6shutouts we turn to you to select the city from the options offered in response here, or propose a final vote. Your call.

Since we've only started with baseball
by SixShutouts66  (2024-01-07 21:18:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's pick a baseball city with one or fewer championships and without major success in other sports. Although it doesn't need another world-class institution and is a new city, let's locate the HoSm in San Diego.

As a sop to disappointed Chicago voters, we need a wing for mediocre management ( a really big wing at that). You can add Reinsdorf and the Halas spawn after I put in Alex Spanos

I wonder which team has the most .500 season +/- 3 games
by TheRC  (2024-01-08 11:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as a percentage of total seasons played.

I just did a quick look at Kansas City
by TheRC  (2024-01-08 12:00:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

55 Seasons as Kansas City Royals

12 seasons in the .500 zone
2 WS Champions
4 AL Champions
7 Division Titles (1981 2nd half)
1 Wild Card (+1981)

1 MVP
4 Cy Youngs
4 RoY
1 MoY

9 Middle place finishes (4th place in 7 team div, 3rd in 5 team)
Didn't finish last until 1996 (27 seasons)

1 season of .600 baseball (1977)
1 season of 100 wins
9 second place finishes
11 last place finishes (all in 5-team div era)
7 seasons below .400 (first in 2002)
7 seasons of 100 losses

Interestingly, a lot of the good Royals teams only had 90 - 92 wins. I expect division winners to be at 95+

Surprised they've only had one season .600+
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-08 12:24:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Aside from the recent World Series teams, the late 70s - mid 80s teams were so strong. They made an imprint on my mind, as those were my early years as a fan. Brett, Wilson, Porter, Mcrae, Gura, Splittorf, Quis. And don't forget HOSM's own Jamie Quirk. Great rivalry with the Yankees over those years.

Agreed the 76-85 Royals-Yankees rivalry was the best IMO
by TheRC  (2024-01-08 12:47:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

during that time frame for all of sports (49ers-Cowboys just emerging as well as Lakers-Celtics, older traditional rivalries didn't seem to be running as hot at that moment). Even better than the Pine Tar incident was the fight between Brett and Nettles in the ALCS. Brett slid hard into 3rd and got tangled up with Nettles. Nettles didn't like it and kicked Brett, who immediately leapt to his feet and punched Nettles. Huge brawl. NO EJECTIONS!

One other thing about the Royals is people think they sucked the entire time from 1986 to 2014 but that really isn't the case. They finished 2nd 3 more times from 1986 to 1995 and had 2 very good 3rd place teams in 88 and 93. They also finished 6th in the AL West one year with an 82-80 record which was tied for their worst positional finish until 1996.

Kansas City can be a really great baseball town, if management would just look like they are trying.

Current leader in the clubhouse is the Twin Cities
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-02 13:30:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The drought between major sports championships stands at 120 seasons..give or take

San Diego has zero championships in any sport aside
by voidoid  (2024-01-02 13:37:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from indoor soccer*, and three of our four major franchises have skipped town entirely: the Chargers in the NFL and the Rockets and Clippers in the NBA.

* the San Diego Sockers absolutely dominated the NASL/MISL, winning ten championships in eleven seasons from 1982 to 1992.

The HoSM might also skip town if we select
by SixShutouts66  (2024-01-06 23:36:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

San Diego.

But the weather is so pleasant! *
by voidoid  (2024-01-07 20:37:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Spanos will hire Swarbrick as his next GM *
by Jvan  (2024-01-02 19:29:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They certainly deserve each other. *
by voidoid  (2024-01-02 19:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not sustained then
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-02 13:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's no one around to still be mediocre

And the number of seasons of mediocrity isn't as high

47 SD Chargers seasons
54 SD Padres seasons
4 SD Rockets seasons
6 SD Clippers seasons

111 seasons

Minnesota has spent 32 years in the darkness with 4 teams playing the 4 sports almost (7 years without hockey) every season. That's 120 straight seasons ending without a trophy/parade/etc

I don't believe they even have a conference/league title in those 32 years to celebrate. If you remove the Twins 2 titles in 4 years you have to go all the way back to the Minnesota Lakers in the mid-50s. That team was far too successful to stick in Minnesota and rightly headed to Hollywood.

This site gives MSP (118 seasons) a slim "win" over Buffalo
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-02 15:26:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(117 seasons).

I had no idea New York City was 4th on the list.

Wow, there's an internet search for everything
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-02 16:48:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've hand calculated that number several times for no reason I guess.

I'd say Buffalo, but..
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-01-01 16:24:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's probably too crappy to be considered merely mediocre.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the message that appears on the city's welcome signs.

Buffalo deserves the Sports Apology Museum.
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-01-02 09:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was in the fuckin crease!!! What the fuck does Texas know from hockey?!?

Normal, IL would be my candidate for obvious reasons. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-01-01 15:33:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Woah woah woah…
by Killian  (2024-01-02 13:36:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just kidding. We get it all the time.

Yes! *
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-01 15:40:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was thinking Sheboygan
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-01 14:48:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just sounds mediocre. But I've never been there, so maybe it's lovely, even though I assume there are Packer fans there.

If we want to go with a major league city past or present I would vote for Anaheim. I hear your arguments about Seattle but Seattle does not strike me as a mediocre city.

I feel like Indianapolis should be another contender. They are AAA, never making much noise I can recall in terms of major league consideration. Right now they are the Pirates affiliate and it looks like over the years they have changed affiliation more than a dozen times. Pretty mediocre.

gotta be Chicago...one WS win each in the 100 + years. *
by kdh325  (2024-01-01 12:53:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other teams stepped up though
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-02 16:57:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Chicago Bears for the early part of the 20th century and the Bulls in modern times.

Chicago's longest season drought is probably under 100 seasons in a row.

And the Hawks in the 2010s. *
by manofdillon  (2024-01-05 13:31:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes but thats when the 2 baseball teams finally won
by DakotaDomer  (2024-01-07 23:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And started their new century long droughts

88 years between World Series titles with 2 teams.
by 1978Irish  (2024-01-01 20:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2 titles in 106 years for 2 teams.

I am not sure that rises to mediocrity

I saw an article about this when I was an ND student
by Cheg80  (2024-01-02 12:09:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was in the late 70s and I think it was a Chicago Tribune item.

They added up the W-L totals of all the Chicago professional teams (I can’t remember if they include teams like the Cardinals, Zephyrs and Stags). Out of north of 25000 contests at that time, the combined totals were somewhen around 20-30 games over .500.

That’s mediocrity.