Do we have a candidate city to house the HoSM?
by SixShutouts66 (2024-01-01 11:37:30)
Edited on 2024-01-02 13:19:07

The House of Sustained Mediocrity deserves to expand from its virtual home on ndnation and perhaps expand to cover other sports. I'm undecided myself whether the deserving city should be selected on the basis of sustained mediocrity for that city's franchise or being a blah city that needs an iconic place to visit.

My birth city of Seattle and my first location after graduating (Anaheim) are certainly candidates for sustained baseball mediocrity. Seattle's first team left after one year and can be aptly called "The We Hardly Knew Ya Pilots". The currect rendition has wallowed in mediocrity except for one year when they made the AL finals. The Angels seem a perennial .500 team, barring one brief World Series win. Both teams are ideal teams to bring a child to see. You have a high probability of a win; yet you most likely will see a future Hall of Famer (A-Rod, Edgar, Ichiro, Griffey, Reggie, Trout, Nolan, Shohei).

Other candidate cities (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) have had long periods of sustained mediocrity, followed by bursts of championship play. Others (St Louis Browns, Kansas City, Washington) have moved on and been replaced by non-mediocrity.

There are a number of non-mej cities that would rejoice in having the HoSM, but they've never been MLB cities. Perhaps we should relent on the MLB city part

Replies: