The Machine is alive and well
by El Kabong (2024-02-28 18:34:09)
Edited on 2024-02-28 18:35:22

The primary approaches, so of course we're being bombarded with tree-wasting adverts. All of them are generated by the (D) party, which doesn't surprise me because I doubt Illinois (R)'s could organize a two-car funeral procession.

Most of them get tossed, but a rather large one addressed to LaK and me caught my eye. Generated by the Cook County (D)'s, it rants that "Donald Trump handpicked three Supreme Court justices to overturn Roe v. Wade. He intended for them to take away our freedoms..." Never mind that abortion access is just as available, if not more so, in Illinois now than when Roe was decided, but that is what it is.

Along with the rant is a "sample ballot" which "state law allows [me] to bring ... into the voting booth". How kind. So I look to see who they're supporting, specifically the two names on my front lawn.

The woman who is running for States Attorney? Hell no, Kim Foxx's anointed successor is on this sample ballot.

Interestingly, Foxx's top deputy, who is running against the guy on my lawn for judge, isn't mentioned on the flyer. Maybe it's not a major enough position.

Regardless, maybe I'll bring this ballot with me to the voting booth so I can vote against everybody who's been recommended ... futile as that may be.

Just FYI...
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-03-01 08:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I once went to vote in Illinois for the sole reason of voting against George Ryan. No other reason.

I voted for some Libertarian candidate that I didn't know from Dr. Who, because fuck me.

Remember IL is kind of big. I can rewrite your post for
by The Holtz Room  (2024-02-29 12:53:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

downstate.

The primary approaches, so of course we're being bombarded with tree-wasting adverts. All of them are generated by the (R) party, which doesn't surprise me because I doubt Illinois (D)'s could organize a two-car funeral procession downstate.

There aren’t any Democrats running for anything around here.

Your second paragraph is like the judge’s race here. “Protecting Your Rights” is a banner point for one in particular. Everything he puts out makes it sound like he’s running for Congress vs judge. Never seen a more awkward picture of a guy holding a gun.

IL politics is more than Cook/Lake county, albeit most i So IL think Chicago just controls everything.

I look forward to your Florida political rants at some point.

"it's all right we told you what to think!" *
by jt  (2024-02-28 23:34:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Cook Cty Judge orders Trump removed from IL Primary ballot (link)
by Raoul  (2024-02-28 21:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Won't matter as SCOTUS will make decision, but unsurprising.

Retired Republican Judge wrote the first decision on this
by wpkirish  (2024-02-28 21:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

In Illinois. Judge Erickson is a Hearing Officer with The State Board of Elections. The written decision is linked below so you can read it for yourself. I know well from having practiced in front of him and against him when he served as the States Attorney. He is far from a Dem and honestly is the type of center right conservative many on this board consider themselves to be.

The Judge recommended the Board dismiss the complaint for lack of jurisdiction but did analyze the underlying issues in case the Board disagreed with that position. Based upon his analysis he recommended Trump be disqualified from the ballot.

You can disagree with the decision but it isn’t only Dems who believe this is what the law requires.

Machine works well in November less so in March.
by wpkirish  (2024-02-28 20:06:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Both SA candidats have picked up their fair share on endorseents. Clayton received the party endorsement (I would guess largely due to Preckwinkle) but I am quite confident if you toured the wards / townships on election days you would find plenty of palm cards with Eileen on them particulalry in areas with lots of PD and FD employees and in wealthier areas.

I dont think I have worked a single primary in the 35 years I have lived in the City where officials weren't cutting side deals to help people on election days. There is plenty of infighting, rivalries and outright backstabbing in March but typically everyone is on the same page come November.

If I was running for Judge I would still rather be an Irish woman than a slated candidate. Save you a lot of money and probably gives you a bigger boost.

Interestingly they have dumped Iris Martinez in favor of Spyropoulos. Martinez started in HDO but rare for the party to dump an incumbent in a primary. Of course more rare for to have a challenger with Spyropoulos's money and willingness to spend it.

As for your friend the Coutny party typically does not endorse in subcircuit races which I think that one is.

Hey! Watch how you talk about the machine! (link)
by beatgoeson  (2024-02-28 19:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

But what do Mitch and Murray say? *
by sprack  (2024-02-28 19:57:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I heard his watch cost more than the Hyundai.
by beatgoeson  (2024-02-28 20:12:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Love that move.

Who is Kim Foxx's anointed successor anyway?
by sprack  (2024-02-28 19:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

All I've seen are the TV ads for the lady with three Irish names and red lipstick. Is it her?

Fortunately we don't get any of the mailings here in DuPage.

No her opponent received the endorsement.
by wpkirish  (2024-02-28 20:18:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Will be interesting to watch on election night. There are not really many competitive races this go around so no idea what turnout will be like. There is a State Senate seat in a predominantly Hispanic district where CTU is trying to unseat and the appointed incumbent and Harmon is putting a lot of money into the race to try and protect his member.

Pretty much a Rube Goldberg machine these days!...
by Kbyrnes  (2024-02-28 18:57:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

...The inmates of the asylum are still playing as if they were grown-ups, which they're mostly not.

Did your Precinct Captain come by with a new garbage can?
by Domer84  (2024-02-28 18:41:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

When I was a kid in Chicago you always knew it was an election year when the Democratic Precinct Captain would stop by with a new can.

You need to move to a place where you can vote in a Republican primary that means something.

No, but we did replace our can a couple weeks ago
by El Kabong  (2024-02-28 18:46:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm in the burbs, but still had to call the village hall.

Our squirrels are on the aggressive side.