Absolutely. One story.
by Czeche (2005-12-15 11:14:55)

In reply to: Question for alum and students...  posted by nicevilleflirish

My father (who does not follow sports, esp. sports he never heard of growing up like american football) came to visit me in my dorm, but didn't know where my room was. One of the guys in the dorm approached him, and learning that he was looking for me, showed my father where my room was. I don't think my dad even understood what I meant when I pointed out to him later that ND's starting quarterback had shown him where my room was. ("oh is that a hard position to play at? He seemed very intelligent")

Overall, the players are fully integrated into the student body. However, with the workloads they have, only a few have time to "hang out" on a regular basis, and so many often stick with a few close friends.

I lived in Keough
by wackybasilisk  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the first three years of school (2000-03), and I lived among such athletes as Shane Walton, Ivan Kartelo ("F#*$ Brey" was his battle cry), etc.

I played video games with Walton sometimes. He beat me at football (go figure), but I kicked his ass at VirtuaTennis. Ha.

Ivan eh?
by NDChavez  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good times. I remember telling him, "Serbs, Croats, what's the difference?" He wasn't a Stojakovic fan.

But I kicked your ass at Virtua Tennis. And beat Walton at football.
by KeoughCharles05  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So there.

I knew Ivan at Purdue, I was good friends with his girlfriend. He
by Jeash  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

seemed like a good guy but you learned not to say anything funny around him. He would start laughing and either punch you in the shoulder or slap you on the back.

Man, do me and wackybasilisk have some good stories about him
by Steedle  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He wrote and printed out warrants granting him the right to search freshman rooms and confiscate snack food (long list on warrant) when he was drunk. And then there was the time he broke the exit sign, which we rigged back into the ceiling with a box of apple juice and a friendship bracelet. I would argue that his battle cry was actually "FRESHMAN BITCHES", despite was wackybasilisk said. He wasn't a terribly good influence on another 7' European that lived in the dorm, either.

Ahh the Dutchman
by KeoughCharles05  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And his tricycle.

What's cooler than ice cold?
Tom Timmermans

If I knew he was coming over to drink with Betsy I would hide the food
by Jeash  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and snacks. He would clean me out of house and home, and what was I going to do? I'm 5'8 190 pounds.

One other story.

He was drinking at my friend's apartment and went to the bathroom. He ended up smacking his head on the entrance to the bathroom, got pissed off and punched a hole in the closet door next to the bathroom. With his fist still in the door he yelled out "uh oh I broke your door".

Nice. That definitely sounds like Kartelo. *
by Steedle  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another
by 105Marquette  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

On Friday of FSU '93 weekend (my frosh year), a group of FSU fans stopped me while I was walking from Nieuland to Fisher, and asked me to direct them to the athletes' dorm. (Recall that FSU football players live in their own dorm, Burt Reynolds Hall. Now we know how the Bandit spent that bootleggin' money.)

"We don't have athletes dorms here," I replied. "All the athletes live in the same dorms non-athletes live in."

From the look on their faces, you would've thought I just informed them that ND doesn't have electricity yet.

All the FSU fans think
by ND Stitch  (2005-12-15 11:14:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that living in the same dorm will help them bond together (a la 7th floor crew, perhaps?).

I think that having the athletes thrown in with the "regular" students (almost every student at ND is exceptional, really) is one of the best things about ND. We're all human beings, why should we be kept separated from our fellow man?

The same argument apparently does not hold true in the face of parietals.