I guess I should get this over with
by eddysorin (2022-08-19 12:27:38)

I don't think this ND team is going to be that good. I start with the QB position.

I believe generally you need an NFL-level quarterback to win a national championship in today’s college football. Last year’s Georgia team (led by the non-descript Stetson Bennett at QB) is the exception that proves the rule. To do it, Georgia needed a defense that was one of the greatest in the history of college football – a defense that featured four 1st round NFL draft picks.

In the five years prior, the college football championship winning starting quarterbacks were, in order: Mac Jones, Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawrence, Tua Tagovailoa/Jalen Hurts, and Deshaun Watson. All 6 of those quarterbacks are current NFL starters.

You have to go back to 2015 to Derrick Henry’s Alabama team before you find another smash mouth squad that won it with an average quarterback (Jake Coker).

Ty Buchner – I’m just not sure he’s in that class. He is a 4-star recruit, so maybe he has the talent. I certainly hope so.

But when it comes to the most important position on the field, in 2022 I think we're bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Replies: