Yep. Pretty closely.
by ewillND (2017-08-09 04:48:27)
Edited on 2017-08-09 09:36:58

In reply to: Anyone following IAAF WC in London  posted by trout

The 100 meter final was great. Gatlin is a tough guy to root for, but I'm ok with the result. As I mention in another post, yeah, he had two suspensions but the first was BS. The second was appropriately reduced to 4 years which is still a really long time for a sprinter. And Gatlin was far from the only drug cheat on the track--I am not sure why London singled him out.

I like Mo--he's fun to watch race. I really hope he never tests positive for any of Alberto's crap.

Cragg's performance was one for the ages. I loved watching the whole race--Alyson Dixon trying to gap the pack, even knowing they would likely come and get her. Cragg biding her time and then making a move to try to spread out a lead pack that was still really big really late. The last 400 meters was just bad-ass--I wish that the marathon had been 42.25 km--she'd have had silver. It was one of my favourite events that I have seen in a long time, despite the fact that the field held down the pace for so long.

Ayana is...well...I want to believe she's clean because I have never seen anyone win a 10000 meters the way that she has won the last two. Phenomenal.

van Niekerk benefited from the head-scratching decision by the IAAF to ban Makwala for having norovirus, especially since there is some discussion as to whether he was ever actually tested. And this after they let Elaine Thompson run after puking her guts out for a while. BS decision.

Pole vault was fun to watch. I enjoyed watching the final three take their attempts to sort out the medal situation.

Jenny Simpson ran a great race--I actually watched it a couple of times. Her kick was good, but she benefited from a couple of decisions/mistakes from other runners. First, I liked watching Muir throw it down--a shame that she didn't have enough to hold everyone off. But Simpson really benefited from Kipyegon and (particularly) Hassan kicking too hard too early and fading at the end (Kipyegon held on to win, but she dropped 2 seconds between the first 200 and the second 200 of the final lap). She made a great pass on the inside to take silver in part because Hassan gave up the inside. Bad strategy, but it all made the race seriously fun to watch.

Replies: