Anyone following IAAF WC in London
by trout (2017-08-07 09:04:13)
Edited on 2017-08-09 18:37:30

Here are some of the more intriguing results along with my thoughts.

Gatlin winning 100 meter causing huge uproar due to doping past. Both Gatlin and Christian Coleman (NCAA Champ) beat Bolt in closely contested final. Sebastion Coe losing his mind over this one.

American Tori Bowie wins Women's 100 meter in somewhat of an upset over Jamaican Elaine Thompson. Tori looks in great form and could double-up in the 200 meter.

Edit: well that didn't happen as she stumbled, fell got stepped on and then withdrew from the 200m

American favorite putters (Crouser and Kovac) upset by NZd'er Walsh. That result was a hair puller.

Mo Farah wins 10 K bringing great celebration to host nation. The Brits love their T&F. The events are well attended.

American women's Marathoner Amy Cragg gritted out a well earned bronze ending a medal drought for American woman in this event that goes back to 1983

In the woman's 10 K Almaz Ayana nearly lapped the entire field in a stunning performance. Molly Huddle finished 8th.

Wayde van Niekerk looks in good form and is doing the 200/400 meter double. I am interested to see how he does in 200 m. The 400 is his to lose.

The men's Pole Vault is of note. American Sam Kendrick was the favorite coming in, but he almost did not make the final as he took 3 attempts to make 5.6 m (18' 4 1/2"). The phenom, Mondo Duplantis, who will be a Senior at a Louisiana HS this year made the final albeit having many misses at the lower qualifying heights. Mondo represents Sweden as his Mom is from there. His Dad is a US-born citizen who was a formidable vaulter in his own right. The WR holder, Renaud Lavillenie looked strongest in qualifying and is my pick to win the event.

The women's 1500 m was a thrilling race. The American Jenny Simpson damn near pulled off the win, but ended up a very close second.

She was in 5th or 6th with about 50 meters left, looking like she was not going to medal, then out of nowhere, like shot out of a cannon, she rockets to second with an amazing kick.

Replies: