Interrupt Hoops for Tribute to Ramblin'.....Man
by dillon77 (2024-04-19 11:06:11)

As you may have heard, Dickey Betts -- one of the co-founders of The Allman Brothers Band -- passed away at 80 yesterday. For people who came of age during the prime years of FM radio play and/or speakers blaring out on quads, the Allman Brothers Band could be something of a soundtrack to your lives.

I was not totally familiar wit them when "Live at Fillmore East" came out.
However, I was fully prepared for the studio songs on "Eat a Peach" and, of course, "Brothers and Sisters," But who was that guy singing and taking over center stage on guitar once Duane Allman died? Dickey Betts, of course.

You didn't have to like the AB Band or southern rock to know this guy could play lead guitar. Take a look at this video of them playing "Ramblin' Man," which was recorded in studio with Les Dudek on the other guitar. Here in concert at Hofstra, he's playing it alone and seemingly alternating between both parts, if you recall the dueling guitars at the end.

Once again, not all of "Southern Rock" was my favorite genre from the 70's, but I liked his lilting playing bouncing off Allman's slide: he was like country meeting jazz. Deft player.

There were some guys on 2nd floor of Dillon (facing the quad) that, as a rite of spring, would point those Harmon-Kardons out to the quad and blast "Blue Skies" or "Jessica" the first day it hit 60. Play it, Dickey.

Replies: