Interrupt Hoops for Tribute to Ramblin'.....Man
by dillon77 (2024-04-19 11:06:11)

As you may have heard, Dickey Betts -- one of the co-founders of The Allman Brothers Band -- passed away at 80 yesterday. For people who came of age during the prime years of FM radio play and/or speakers blaring out on quads, the Allman Brothers Band could be something of a soundtrack to your lives.

I was not totally familiar wit them when "Live at Fillmore East" came out.
However, I was fully prepared for the studio songs on "Eat a Peach" and, of course, "Brothers and Sisters," But who was that guy singing and taking over center stage on guitar once Duane Allman died? Dickey Betts, of course.

You didn't have to like the AB Band or southern rock to know this guy could play lead guitar. Take a look at this video of them playing "Ramblin' Man," which was recorded in studio with Les Dudek on the other guitar. Here in concert at Hofstra, he's playing it alone and seemingly alternating between both parts, if you recall the dueling guitars at the end.

Once again, not all of "Southern Rock" was my favorite genre from the 70's, but I liked his lilting playing bouncing off Allman's slide: he was like country meeting jazz. Deft player.

There were some guys on 2nd floor of Dillon (facing the quad) that, as a rite of spring, would point those Harmon-Kardons out to the quad and blast "Blue Skies" or "Jessica" the first day it hit 60. Play it, Dickey.

True Story
by Lucid  (2024-04-19 20:35:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the early 2010’s, my NYC roots band was asked to play the wedding of the daughter of the long time road manager for The Allman Brothers from the 80’s-90’s, because she was a huge fan, and also, we kicked the shit out of Whipping Post live. Even though we weren’t a wedding band, we agreed, because she was a fan and, wait for it, Dickey Betts was invited to the wedding. He was touring and his dates in NJ corresponded with the wedding date.

So we prepared a full wedding set, but also an alternate Dickey Betts set, should he show and want to play… Alas, he didn’t show and we played lots of R&B and 80’s hits to get the folks dancing… but god, I wish he’d showed up.

RIP. Absolute legend.

"Rollin down Highway 41" I still play it on my Banjo, Still
by Domerduck  (2024-04-19 14:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

back my senior year in high school and then Notre Dame Live from Fillmore, Eat a Peach, and Brother & Sister were playing many epic weekend nights.

R.I.P. Dickie, still worth hearing those dueling guitars with Duane, glad we can get those Youtube or other digital recordings.

Thanks for the video. You should take some time to read
by MPG  (2024-04-19 13:51:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Brothers and Sisters" by Alan Paul which details how the band re-invented itself following the deaths of Duane Allman and Berry Oakley. Dicky Betts and Gregg Allman were the sometimes colliding prime movers. Chuck Leavell on piano provided some musical changes and, of course, the drummers kept on drumming!

Thanks for the Tip
by dillon77  (2024-04-19 16:17:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I met Chuck Leavell during a tour with his band, Sea Level. Can't remember whether it was the Bottom Line or some other venue in NYC, but he was a good guy. Later became the Rolling Stones musical director when they were on tour. Used that money to invest in Christmas Tree farms.

Sweet Melissa *
by tedstheman  (2024-04-19 13:29:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well deserved tribute! In addition to the songs Blue Sky
by Anotherjoe  (2024-04-19 13:28:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was a real gem I listen to them often.

Although the song we usually blasted onto the quad on football weekends was the I Gotta Get Outta Here Alice Cooper lyrics on infinite repeat. We were not trying to entertain at that point.

At least he was not lost in his prime like Duane was.

NIce. I will throw .38 Special in there as well. *
by Bobby OShea  (2024-04-19 13:11:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do miss Southern Rock along with the 80's Rock
by bohratom  (2024-04-19 12:50:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Roll which I grew up on. Seems Rock and Roll has seen its golden ages pass by and the sad fact is I don't see many young people trying to bring it back as it's all about Pop and Hip Pop.

You forgot Whipping Post
by RISteve  (2024-04-19 12:16:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As a big Southern Rock fan in the day (CDB, Tucker, Skynyrd, etc), The Allman Brothers were the standard. I saw them live a few times snd they were worth the price. RIP DB. You could certainly strum a tune.

Man, where did those decades go?
by 2ndstreeter  (2024-04-19 12:03:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Allmans, Trucks, Betts, et al. Rock on boys.