Has to be pretty underwhelming name for the fans
by Raoul (2024-04-17 14:03:50)
Edited on 2024-04-17 14:04:41

In reply to: Cara Consuegra is the next Marquette HC  posted by RISteve

given her results at Charlotte. It is basically a commitment to ranging between 16-16 and 23-11 type seasons. Mostly WNIT and occasional NCAA. (Consuegra made NCAA only 1X in 13 years as HC)

The offset is she will probably make less than $350K vs well over $500K (and rising) for Duffy. I believe Consuegra was making about $220K. In the context of many colleges' budget issues and layoffs (Marquette has them as well) I can certainly understand this move. Faculty everywhere are pissed at layoffs and paying up big salaries for sports coaches is a problem - Marquette is under 2K a game attendance.

Her husband is a Marquette alum and apparently from WI. So a homecoming in that regard. Obviously the hope is that comes and is "successful" and stays long term and her staying, if successful, seems very likely. She played at end of her Iowa career for Lisa Bluder and that is what Marquette is probably hoping for her. Solid mostly winning coach who can get lucky with recruiting locally and spike to greater success at times.

First job is retaining what you got.

P.S. She took lots of transfers down from P5 at Charlotte. Shaka Smart is NOT a big transfer guy and prefers to retain and develop. I wonder if that was discussed.