You may be right that they could not get 1st and 2nd choices
by Raoul (2024-04-17 14:57:50)

In reply to: Doesn't Feel Like a Top-Tier Choice, Does It.?  posted by dillon77

I have to believe they inquired of some great candidates. If Tennessee was going with Caldwell then surely you can call people like Carla Berube and Lindy La Rocque among others (you can probably name the next 5 good names better than I can). I still preferred Gillespie based on her career and excellent IL and WI ties. I do wonder why Gillespie not chosen (probably more expensive - I think a married lesbian with kids, I certainly hope that didn't impact Marquette's decision in any way).

I do think there are broader issues going on like finances and then Consuegra really wanting the job and maybe her and husband returning home to where met/married etc.

Who knows. Maybe it all works out. But there is not much evidence that she can improve upon Duffy or Kieger, and significant evidence that she will underperform them in recruiting (Kieger) and coaching (Duffy).

I do believe that Michaela Mabrey and anyone else who wants to coach at the highest levels better get out there and become a HC early. That is the clear message of this year's hires. Assistants >> P5 job aren't happening and even MAC jobs probably limited to prior HC experience. And I agree with that were I an AD.