Check frequently the day before you want to get reservations
by kellykapowski (2021-11-29 13:24:59)

In reply to: My wife and I are going without the kids for the first time  posted by Tex Francisco

as that's when most people drop them if they either don't go or held the reservation just in case. Additionally, go to wherever you want to eat early and ask to get put on a list. Walk-ins can happen, at least they can at Disneyland. With that said, seeing as how Disneyland caters to locals as WDW caters to out of town travelers, I imagine the likelihood of people letter go of their dining reservations the day prior is much less.

Do they take walk-ins for couples?
by ACross  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sit at the bar etc?

Is the food and wine on par with high end restaurants at a garden variety luxury resort?

During Christmas Break, I’ll do a comprehensive Disneyland
by kellykapowski  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guide just like Vermin05’s WDW one above. Mine will need to be updated whenever they decide to roll out Genie+ and LL, but I’ve been there enough since it re-opened that I could provide a very comprehensive guide for the post-COVID experience, including hotels.

I am likelier to go to Disneyland
by ACross  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have a niece at UCLA and a niece at USD. I would probably make it a week and stay half the time in Newport and half at a Disneyland resort hotel.

But I will go to Disneyworld as soon as my younger boy meets all height minimums. I will probably take a more Brunswickian approach and stay half the time in Naples or in John’s Island.

You seem like the prime candidate for Disneyland trip vs WDW
by Tommy Baseball  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As vermin05 mentioned, if you don't want to do a full week at Disney, you can get more bang for your buck with 3-4 days at Disneyland. It's only an hour extra flight and you would have extra days available to do other things in Orange County or LA.

There is no beating the convenience of the Grand Californian. It has a private entrance to California Adventure and private security to Downtown Disney and Disneyland. Napa Rose Restaurant and its lounge would meet your standard for both. The hotel also has Hearthstone Lounge which is the walk-in lobby bar you were seeking.

Disneyland is 1.5-2 days to cover. California Adventure is 1 day. That leaves time to hang out at the hotel pool or explore other SoCal sites.

Much less planning is required at Disneyland. Really just park reservations and dining. For someplace like Napa Rose or Cathay Circle, you'll want to try to book at the 60 day mark to be safe, but availability is no where near as limited as WDW.

Totally agree with this.
by 3rdSt  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve got no desire to ever go back to WDW, but the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel (I’m a sucker for Trader Sam’s) gets a visit every year or so.

I prefer to stay at the Disneyland Hotel because the rooms
by kellykapowski  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are more “magical” for the kids with the singing/ light up headboards and the far better pool waterslides. That said, aside from our annual trip where we stay in a hotel, we always “take a break” for lunch at the GC in their lobby. No reservations required. Food is far better and it’s just lively to sit and rest on a comfortable couch, listening to the pianist play Disney music on their grand piano and enjoy a cocktail in the air conditioning. It’s very beautiful.

Agree 100%. I’m fairly certain that his kids are younger

than mine. For us, it doesn’t make sense until our little guy is tall enough for virtually all of the rides to do the WDW trip. He’s almost 8, but barely 46” and that is with him wearing Air Maxes with orthotics inside. He passed for under 3 until he was 5.5 though, so there’s that.

Is the Franzia not to your liking Sir? *
by The Holtz Room  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes for those restaurants with bars
by rflor  (2021-11-29 13:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of the restaurants I posted in my guide either have bars or attached lounges where you can walk in if there’s room.

I am particularly a fan of the lounge adjacent to the Yachtsman.