LOL you love your stats
by ndmd99 (2024-03-11 10:08:00)

In reply to: There are lies, darned lies, and statistics.  posted by wearendhockey

In a sport like hockey, stats give objective support to justify or refute subjective observations.

I watched virtually every home/away game live/streaming/TV. And a couple non-ND B10 games. My issue is with the subjective interpretation in what's "unsportsmanlike" vs 5 vs 10 vs suspension. Which has been applied differently to ND games (which leads to the primary discrepancy in those PIM stats with the blue bloods).

In-conference PIM/G were 13.5 ND vs 10.8 Opp.

Out-of-conference PIM/G were 10.3 ND vs 12.3 Opp.

Essentially a 5 PIM swing in vs out of conference.

This past weekend was bad. Listening on the radio doesn't do it justice (although it sounds like Pritchett was riled up about the calls). The refs were all over the place with their major interpretations (and 3 of the 4 interpretations went against us). I think the last 3 major reviews didn't even initially have penalties called on the ice.

The inconsistent major/minor calls 100% played a role in the outcome. If Bavaro's major on Friday was a minor, then MI doesn't get the go-ahead goal and the game remains tied in the 3rd.

The missed offsides wasn't even close. The MI player didn't even toe drag b/c he was too far offsides to even attempt it. But unless he was offsides, the MI player would not have been able to receive the pass and it would've been icing. And it led to a goal (and a minor penalty when our review failed b/c it was in a camera blind spot that didn't capture puck/blue line/MI player in a single image). In a game that was decided by a single goal that blown call 100% made a difference.