There are lies, darned lies, and statistics.
by wearendhockey (2024-03-10 21:01:02)

In reply to: Agreed  posted by ndmd99

The four teams that finished in front of us took fewer penalty minutes in their 4 games against us, and the two that finished behind us took more. I think that is just as important as the overall numbers.

Were we getting the calls our first year in the league or were we just playing better than the other teams? Ohio State and Notre Dame were the least penalized teams overall and finished 2nd and 1st. 34+ games is more illustrative too than just 4. And ask a Minnesota fan about the call that put Notre Dame on the PP a minute into the OT in the 2019 semi final, the PP that led to the winning goal. They will swear on a stack it was an awful, homer call. It might not have been the best call, but if Michigan is going to get calls over us in hockey, Minnesota definitely will too. That loss eliminated MN from any chance of an NCAA bid in 2019. The highest rated FF games since the tournament went to 16 games generally have involved Minnesota.

I think officiating in college hockey is substandard, especially when compared with the quality of the players and coaches. But it always has been. I think it is a tough stretch to think officiating had anything of substance to do with where we ended up in the standings or the fact we are not playing another game this season. I watched most of Notre Dame's home games and don't think for one second favorable officiating is why we had a home winning % 2 1/2 times better than on the road. Frankly, the way Notre Dame played on Friday for most of the game it would have taken having the refs in our pocket to win the game.

Replies: