I assume I fall into ACP
by mocopdx (2024-04-24 14:07:57)
Edited on 2024-04-24 14:13:02

In reply to: The ACP is optimistic because they confuse cause and effect  posted by Jvan

Because I've expressed that while I don't expect a great offense, I also take issue with the ideas that Denbrock is a Kelly-clone as an OC and that his offenses will definitely suck against top competition.

It's not like we don't have data on this. Denbrock was the OC at ND in 2014 and 2015. In those two years we faced four teams who finished top 5 in the final AP poll. Here is what we scored in those games:

2014 vs FSU - 27 points
2015 vs Clemson - 22 points
2015 vs Stanford - 36 points
2015 vs Ohio State - 28 points

I don't think it's fair to pin 2016 on him as that was a perfect shit storm of variables that led to how bad that team was, and by all accounts the OC role was being "shared" between Sanford in some messed up way.

So while Denbrock had the OC reigns at ND in his last stint, we averaged 28.25 ppg against teams who finished in the top 5. I don't think that's laying turds.

I think he is a firm step up from Parker. I would have preferred someone who runs an offense like Michigan's, or the Packers, or the 49ers, too. Those offenses would play far better to our natural recruiting strengths, as I've said many times on here. I'm not a spread-lover, I don't think it's most suitable for a program like ND, but my point is that there's a wide range between "sucks and rules" for OCs, and I don't think Denbrock falls under "sucks". I think Mike Elko is a fine coach, and it bears noting that Denbrock was his first choice to join him at A&M.

I also think it's unfair to just say "well he had Jayden Daniels fall into his lap". Daniels was seen as a semi-bust at ASU and when he announced his transfer, teams were barely looking at him. When LSU took him, it was a nothingburger. He wasn't even a guarantee to start. Denbrock was the OC that coached him into a Heisman winner.

Replies: