Bevacqua saying the right things
by charlottend (2024-03-28 16:48:34)

My take is that of course ND is always going to make more money if football is winning. Hopefully now that millions of annual revenue is explicitly enshrined in the CFP contracts it will entice us to be serious about competing for titles.

“That pressure has been on Notre Dame since Knute Rockne," he said. "That's not a pressure quite frankly we shy away from. That's a pressure we accept. As a lifelong Notre Dame fan and as an alumnus, we thrive on that pressure. There's an understanding that Notre Dame football - maybe more than anywhere else in the country, certainly as much as anywhere else in the country - is part of the DNA of this university.

"We know that is a key priority of ours," he said, "not only to stay relevant, but quite frankly to win a national championship and be the best.“

by drmurray  (2024-03-29 07:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan sucks

Except I always hear “Bevilaqua”.
by The Holtz Room  (2024-03-28 19:40:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sincerely hope he fares MUCH better than the Bevilacqua
by johnnysalami  (2024-03-30 09:16:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kid.

"Drinkwater" *
by sprack  (2024-03-29 14:45:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He still got the Heating & AC place? *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-29 13:15:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the saddest thing in life is wasted talent
by jt  (2024-03-29 12:24:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He had a stockbroker's license. And went to Pace College. *
by strangebrew  (2024-03-29 11:48:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Except I always picture Bevacqua
by Queensman  (2024-03-29 10:13:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As in Kurt

Me too...have his baseball cards from years ago. *
by Harv79Pangborn  (2024-03-30 07:57:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Dirty Kurt"
by sprack  (2024-03-29 14:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So nicknamed because he felt he hadn't played in a game unless he got his uniform dirty, so he always made sure he did.

Despite a less than storied career other than his feud with Tommy Lasorda, he did hit two home runs in the 1984 World Series for the Padres.

So his greatest career achievement was the rough equivalent
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-03-29 21:18:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of sticking a couple of wads of bubble gum in the cracks in the Johnstown dam?

I believe this fact, along with his epic putdown of Tommy Lasorda, immediately qualifies Kurt Bevacqua for induction into the Hall of Sustained Mediocrity. (See the Fantasy Sports board for more information.)

Pretty much
by sprack  (2024-03-29 21:35:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Padres won one game where Bevacqua was the hitting hero - still the only World Series game they’ve ever won - but got absolutely obliterated in the other four games by the 1984 Tigers.

And yes, he is a first ballot Hall of Sustained Mediocrity member.

Couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. *
by John@Indy  (2024-03-29 11:20:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Really? I am distinctly hearing “Babushka” *
by Frank Drebin  (2024-03-29 07:51:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In my head, I read it as “Baklava”
by treisele  (2024-03-28 23:47:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I think it sounds delicious.

Mr Bevilaqua, the gym teacher *
by Father Nieuwland  (2024-03-28 23:16:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I still think Jerry would have beat Duncan in that race *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-03-30 09:42:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr. Bevilaqua, The Bishop!
by SWPaDem  (2024-03-29 06:47:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm losing my balls over here!
by DBCooper  (2024-03-28 22:17:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This fucking moron's playing Hazel.

One of my favorite scenes of the show

When he got to ND, we were defending national champions.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-28 18:29:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully, he wants that feeling back again and sooner rather than later.

The last guy got to enjoy a pretty good run, at least the
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-03-28 19:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the games he chose to watch as a student. Didn’t seem to make much of a mark on him.

JS saw a 37-8 record, 2 major bowl wins, 1 NC...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-28 19:48:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was happy to have experienced a 36-11 record, esp. given what happened 2 years after I graduated.

When JS was a senior, a Grace soph was so upset when Irish fell to 7-3 (after bad loss at Pitt) that said soph called Hesburgh to complain about Devine. Of the long bill of particulars against JS, his concsious lowering of standards from the standards of his time at ND is high on the list.

Jack never had the ability or the wherewithal to try out
by Moff  (2024-03-29 00:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

for the team and make it (playing for Lou) like Pete did. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

I’m very hopeful
by airborneirish  (2024-03-29 12:18:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jack was always a small time and insecure loser, yet somehow also an egomaniac.

Thanks for this video

"It was a $22 cab ride from where I parked". Classic Holtz. *
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-03-29 13:12:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s got at least one key thing in common w Marcus Freeman.
by A1Leprechaun  (2024-03-28 16:53:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s much, much more likeable than his predecessor. A low bar, I know.