If Kelly pulled a Rockne…
by JSDomer (2021-11-21 18:38:58)

I can only imagine what the reaction on this board would be If Kelly pulled a Knute Rockne and skipped a game to attend another game and scout it assuming that the game Notre Dame was playing would be an easy win.
1926 Rockne elected to attend the army-navy game on a scouting mission. Carnegie Mellon won 19 to nothing and one of the biggest upset in college football.

Kelly has made some bonehead moves, but nothing that could top this.
Knute is just lucky this board wasn’t around then!

How can you be so obtuse? Is it deliberate? *
by cmhirish  (2021-11-22 17:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or pulled a Lloyd Carr (2017) and showed up for the game
by notra_dahm  (2021-11-22 08:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and got beat anyways. The App State upset of Michigan is ranked ahead of the 1926 Carnegie Tech upset, in rankings of greatest upsets of all time. Given the level of bullheadedness and wrong thinking when faced with an unexpected challenge from a lesser opponent, this seems like a more likely scenario for Coach Kelly.

Are you suggesting BK air crash into a Kansas cornfield? *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-11-22 07:48:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One-way flight to new gig or retirement would suffice. *
by rfk  (2021-11-22 09:24:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UFL beat you by 12 hours *
by El Kabong  (2021-11-22 08:28:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hats off to UFL. His thoughts were well worth reposting *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-11-22 09:13:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Makes sense. College football is exactly the same as it was
by Gort  (2021-11-22 00:13:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

95 years ago. How much did the 4 horsemen earn in television endorsement deals? Do you know offhand.

Well, I know they at least got a free ride on a horse. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-11-22 08:39:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even if Kelly did that same thing now, we'd beat CMU .
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-21 23:54:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Let's see the haters deny that!

I think you just pulled your pud *
by ACross  (2021-11-21 23:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Rockne pulled an O’Leary
by ThreeLeafDomer  (2021-11-21 22:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can promise you that this board would be even more fucking awesome than usual

I wish Kelly pulled an O’Leary. *
by Gort  (2021-11-22 00:00:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not 1926 anymore
by RJD  (2021-11-21 22:04:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is it? Because if it was, we would have a helluva football coach.

Looks like chicagond99 has a new account *
by bphweather  (2021-11-21 22:01:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As in, winning multiple championships? ...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-11-21 21:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...(Sorry, 2ndstreeter, you did beat me to it, but in the spirit of piling on to administer a noogie, I'll leave my redundant comment.)

This is the kind of thing I mean
by El Kabong  (2021-11-21 21:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What exactly is the point of this post?

Erecting a straw man to bitch about perceived negativity?

Are you Board Ops? *
by 1002  (2021-11-21 21:49:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's clearly a Board Ops sting operation. *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2021-11-21 22:39:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dude. I’m not a board op, and I don’t pretend to be perfect.
by 84david  (2021-11-21 21:44:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But,
Are you asking to be launched?

In 1988, Holtz beat four teams that finished in the Top 10.
by Private Joker  (2021-11-21 21:22:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How many teams has Brian Kelly beaten that finished in the Top 10?

The thing about 1988...
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-22 00:01:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not anymore.

I was a bit surprised by the answer (if you go by AP rank).
by Private Joker  (2021-11-22 06:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s 3.

2012 Stanford finished #7.
2013 Michigan St. finished #3.
2020 Clemson finished #3.

Our scheduling over the last five seasons has been terrible. Four of the eleven teams on our regular season schedule last year finished the season with a winning record (and two of those teams finished 6-5).

While there is a "down season" effect, it's no excuse.
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-22 14:39:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stanford, USC, FSU and Va Tech have all historically been much better teams. But, when those are all you have, you've got no room for them to have down years without the schedule going to shit.

We're lucky Cincinnati baled our schedule out from being a complete mockery. Of course, we lost to them.

I'll be the first to say I would've ripped Rockne for it.
by revressbo  (2021-11-21 21:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I was an Ohio State fan, I would've ripped Meyer for the Purdue and Iowa blowouts a few years back. I would rip Dabo for this season if I was a Clemson fan. I would've ripped Holtz for BC 1993 if I was an ND fan then.

The issue isn't an occasional dud or two (though too many, which BK 1.0 had, IS a problem; but BK 2.0 has largely eliminated them). Kelly's issue is the lack of praiseworthy games.

I'm trying to think of the amount of "praiseworthy" BK moments:

2012 Stanford
2012 Oklahoma
2013 Michigan State (which at the time was not, but could maybe be considered one in hindsight, despite it being an ugly and unexciting game)
2014 Michigan
2014 Florida State (despite it being a loss, I thought it was a very well-coached game)
2017 USC
2018 Michigan (though they faded at the end of the year)
2020 Clemson (and, opposite of 2013 MSU, that praise has decreased given the ACC Championship rematch when Clemson was full health/strength, Clemson's buttwhooping at the hands of Ohio State in the CFP and Clemson's performance overall this season without Lawrence).

He's had way too few for 12 years at ND.

I do not consider 10 wins praiseworthy at Notre Dame. I do not consider "in the conversation" praiseworthy at ND. I do not consider not losing to unranked teams praiseworthy. These are necessary, but not sufficient. Winning big games, and ultimately and most importantly, winning a national championship is praiseworthy. Rockne won three national championships and won games at a career clip that literally has never been surpassed in the history of the sport.

Perfection is not expected/demanded. Even Saban has duds like A&M this year. That doesn't mean I wouldn't rip the coach for a dud; I'm a fan, of course I will criticize when I think it's warranted. But I'd be much more likely to accept a game like last year's ACC Championship game or 2017 Miami or 2019 Michigan or 2021 UC (a well-coached, experienced team, but way less talented than ND and in South Bend) or even an occasional season like 2010/2011/2013/2014, but ya gotta give me something. Give me a CFP semifinal win. Give me more than three final-ranking AP-top 10 wins in 11 seasons (Holtz had 15 in his 11 seasons). A national championship of course, would basically cure all ills.

It's like being overdrawn on your checking account
by El Kabong  (2021-11-21 21:33:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

BK's credits exceed his debits.

He needs some deposits.

It doesn't matter if some credits aren't his fault, he blew the balance early on and hasn't done a lot to replenish.

He's the Kirk Cousins of college coaches. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-21 23:52:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Manufactured outrage is de rigeur in 2021
by goirish89  (2021-11-21 20:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But this takes it to a new level.

Good luck on better posts in the future.

And fill out a profile.

And won 3 NC’s over 13 years losing only 12 games
by 2ndstreeter  (2021-11-21 20:06:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wile actually being the coach who brought the forward pass to ND, not a guy named Kelly?
Yeah if he could perform at that level I think he might get a mulligan. However he doesn’t even sniff that air and has compiled a list of boneheaded decisions and statements that have sealed his chance of ever reaching such deserved admiration.

and wins 88% of his career games?
by flanner96  (2021-11-21 19:55:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we'd all be over the bleeping moon.

Only needs to win his next 202 games to pull even. *
by Irish72  (2021-11-21 20:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Killed in airplane crash? *
by ufl  (2021-11-21 19:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NO NO NO...
by Tjmcfly  (2021-11-21 22:24:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then Brian might actually get the statue.

Very, very good *
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-11-21 21:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do better. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-11-21 21:36:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh come on
by El Kabong  (2021-11-21 21:46:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He swung at a hanging curve.

Nope, nope, nope. *
by kellykapowski  (2021-11-21 22:42:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spoiler alert! Come on, man! *
by Private Joker  (2021-11-21 21:23:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about a “spoiler alert”? Not everyone has seen the movie *
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-11-21 20:35:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oof. Cant tell if this is too much or just close enough to
by athlete37  (2021-11-21 20:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be pretty funny.

Too soon? *
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-11-21 20:23:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's why no one thinks Rockne was a very good coach. *
by Revue Party  (2021-11-21 19:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, you’re right, then: Kelly >>> Rockne. Book it!!
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-11-21 19:18:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How are the statue plans progressing?

Let's look at that season.
by Otter  (2021-11-21 18:53:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would that mean that Kelly's ND teams would have been 8-0 having only allowed SEVEN points the entire season to that point?

Yeah, ND had outscored it's opponents 197-7 in the first 8 games including shutting out Army, Penn State, Georgia Tech and Indiana.

After losing to Carnegie Tech, they went out west and beat USC to finish 9-1.

Ten games. 9-1. Surrendered a season total of 39 pts.

ND defeated three top 10 teams that season, all on the road, and two by shutout.

Yeah. I'll take that. Brian Kelly, if you're listening, I will defend your ass to the death if you do that.

Congrats
by Freight Train  (2021-11-21 18:42:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’ve won the award for dumbest post in the history of this board.

Yeah, we are so mean to Brian Kelly. Only in retrospect will we truly appreciate him.

I've won that award a few times. *
by guilfordnd  (2021-11-22 01:38:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Lucky guy, likely not launched for record-smashing stupid. *
by rfk  (2021-11-21 18:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chicagond99 proves that it takes more than just stupid.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-11-21 19:34:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It takes a unique convergence of stupid and asshole-liness to initiate the launch codes. Rest assured that Board Ops is acutely in tune with the edges of that envelope.

I was unsure where the subject line was going. *
by IRISHPRIDE09  (2021-11-21 18:44:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post