Here's how it works
by tf86 (2021-11-17 09:23:23)
Edited on 2021-11-17 09:26:34

In reply to: Couldn’t Oregon go to a NY6 if they lose in Pac-12 champ?  posted by revressbo

The CFP takes the top four teams. There are six automatic bids: one for each of the Power 5 champions, plus the Group of Five rep (highest-ranked conference champion from among the Group of Five).

In addition, there are three contract bowls (Rose, Sugar and Orange). Those bowl are contractually obligated to take representatives from certain conferences in years when they do not host a CFP semifinal. This year, the Orange Bowl hosts a semifinal game, but the Rose and Sugar do not. Contractual matchups are as follows:

Rose: Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Sugar: SEC vs. Big XII
Orange: ACC vs. highest-ranked eligible non-champion from the Big Ten/SEC, or Notre Dame.

Contract bowls take the conference champion if not selected for the CFP, otherwise they take the highest-ranked non-champion. A conference champion who is contractually obligated to a bowl game hosting the CFP semifinal and who is not selected for the CFP is placed in an Access Bowl. Thus, the ACC champ this year will play in an Access Bowl. G5 rep is placed in an Access Bowl unless selected for the CFP.

With the Peach and Fiesta Bowl not hosting the CFP this year, that means there will be two at-large selections remaining (3 if Cincinnati is selected for the CFP). They will take the two highest-ranked teams not otherwise selected for the CFP or a NY6 bowl.

The short answer to your question is that Oregon would be eligible for an Access Bowl if they did not win the Pac-12, but would have to be one of the top two (or perhaps three, but only if Cincinnati makes the CFP) teams remaining after the CFP and contract and AQ bids were awarded. I think that's a longshot (they'd probably have to win out in the regular season and then lose in the Pac-12 title game.) But I suppose I erred in saying that they have no chance. With that said, if Oregon were to make a NY6 Access Bowl, I think they'd be a stone-cold lock for the Fiesta Bowl (as opposed to the Peach Bowl), which would mean that they'd play Cincinnati if Cincinnati fails to make the CFP. So an even lesser chance of facing ND.

Let's play out the Oregon scenario, just for fun.
by rockmcd  (2021-11-17 11:36:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oregon beats Utah this weekend and goes into the Pac 12 title game ranked #3, and then they lose that game (the reverse is more likely, but it's not totally improbable).

Cincinnati wins out (probable).

Ohio St beats either MSU or UM or both, preventing the scenario where UM and MSU both finish with 1 loss (probable).

Ole Miss loses @ Miss St (50/50, but may not be necessary).

Notre Dame wins out.

In that scenario, the playoffs teams will be UGA, Big 10 winner, Cincinnati, and either Alabama or the Big 12 winner.

After the Sugar Bowl takes its SEC team (whether that's Bama or the 3rd best team), the next best SEC team will have at least 3 losses and be ranked below Oregon.

After the Sugar Bowl takes its Big 12 team (whether that's the conference winner or the 2nd best team), the next best Big 12 team will have at least 2 losses and almost certainly be ranked below 2-loss Oregon.

The Rose Bowl will takes the 2nd best Big 10 team. The 3rd place team will be eligible for the Fiesta or Peach Bowl.

In that scenario, the 4 teams eligible to play in the Fiesta and Peach Bowls will be:

ACC Champ (automatic bid)
Notre Dame
3rd place Big 10 team
Oregon

It's hard to imagine another team leapfrogging Oregon in that scenario. Am I forgetting someone?

So if those are the 4 teams, the ACC champ would presumably go to the Peach Bowl, and Oregon would presumably go to the Fiesta Bowl. So then the decision would be either:

ND vs Oregon, and Big 10 vs ACC; or
ND vs ACC, and Oregon vs Big 10

If it comes to that, how would the decision get made? Does one of the bowls have "dibs" over the other, or is it made by the committee? If it's made by the committee then I would hope that they'd try to avoid pitting ND against an ACC team, but there's no guarantee of that.

One potential problem with that scenario, and my best guess
by tf86  (2021-11-19 09:20:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is a possibility that the #2 Big XII team is in the mix for an Access Bowl bid in that scenario. Granted, if there's a Big XII team in the CFP, that gets a little less likely, as at least one Big XII team from among Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Baylor would have at least three losses. But if the Big XII misses the CFP, there's a possibility that you have all three of those teams with two losses apiece. Whoever wins the conference championship game gets the Sugar Bowl bid, but it's entirely possible that one of the other two winds up in an Access Bowl.

To go with your assumption and answer the question you posed, the attractiveness of a matchup is one of the factors which the Committee can take into consideration. And ND does play five games against the ACC in the regular season. OTOH, the individual ACC teams do not rotate through ND's schedule on a regular basis, and it's entirely possible that ND will go several (i.e., more than three consecutive) years without playing a particular ACC opponent.

Of the ACC teams still in contention for the conference title this season, ND played Virginia this season, so Virginia would be out as a potential opponent in a non-CFP NY6 bowl. ND also has played Clemson three times in the last three seasons, including twice last season, and is scheduled to play Clemson in each of the next two seasons. So Clemson also would be out as a prospective non-CFP NY6 bowl opponent this year, unless ND otherwise would have to play Cincinnati. OTOH, Pitt is a traditional rival who no longer plays ND annually, so perhaps the Committee would want that as a matchup.

With all of that said, if we were to assume that Oregon will split with Utah, I think there is a much better chance that Oregon would lose the true road game, then win at a neutral site with a Rose Bowl bid on the line, rather than vice versa. But who knows?