With good OL development
by SEE (2021-11-12 12:13:36)
Edited on 2021-11-12 12:31:09

and more recruiting hits, ND would be undefeated a favorite for the CFB playoff right now.

True?

if my aunt had balls *
by 84david  (2021-11-13 15:38:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the Queen would've had...
by IRISHLUV23  (2021-11-13 11:46:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2 of something else, she would've been the King.

If, " If's and buts were candy and nuts,
by Irishwest  (2021-11-13 10:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We'd all have a Merry Christmas".

"It would be Christmas every day." One of my dad's ...
by Fresno Mike  (2021-11-13 10:54:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...favorite sayings. He'd use it all the time when I was a kid.

Of course
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-11-13 09:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We should be 9-0 with a marginal amount of those two things this year.

Recruiting is improving.

“If ‘If’ were a horse, we’d all have a ride…”
by treisele  (2021-11-13 01:46:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What my pops would say.

If wishes were horses
by Aguirretwog  (2021-11-13 13:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

…then beggars would ride.

Is that you, Jon B.? *
by Ryno  (2021-11-13 21:19:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Belichick coaching and Brady at QB
by Gort  (2021-11-13 00:59:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We could beat anyone! Well anyone except Eli Manning.

What if Lou was still the coach? How many NC's? *
by johneye  (2021-11-13 00:46:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

15 easy *
by 2ndstreeter  (2021-11-13 07:32:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The narrow visitor's tunnel would have been worth two, easy *
by Moff  (2021-11-13 12:28:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What if BK had replaced BVG w/ competent DC in '15...
by Scoop80  (2021-11-12 21:49:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That team almost certainly would've made the CFP. What if BK had played for the FG at the end of the '10 Tulsa game? What if he had kicked the PAT up 11 v. NW in '14? What if ND had gotten flagged for 2 men on field w/ same # in '12 Pitt game? What if BK hadn't faced a series of interim USC HC's? What if Trevor Lawrence had been cleared to play at ND last year?

The list of such questions is potentially endless. Going back, what if Monk & LeBlanc had prevailed over Jenkins on keeping TW in '03? What if GOL hadn't fudged his resume? What if Ted & Ned had decided in fall '80 that their prior hire of a HS HC (Brennan) hadn't worked out, so why tempt fate this time? What if Gary Forystek had not suffered a broken collarbone at PU in '77? What if the wind had kicked back up when Harry O lined up for his FG try v. UM in '80?

With good play calling on offense and defense
by jt  (2021-11-12 19:48:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chuck Martin would be dominant right now.

with better coaching and better recruiting? sure.
by MrE  (2021-11-12 17:09:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND would be undefeated against this schedule and likely be in control. I don't think Notre Dame would be left out at 12-0, even against this crap sandwich schedule.

Now, if every Top 20-caliber team could take 2 key elements that were/are negatives and magically make them better or erase them from existence, then No - ND would not be a favorite to land one of the top 4 spots.

Who was the last champion not to have a 1st round QB?
by NJDoubleDomer  (2021-11-12 15:40:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I honestly don't know, but it sure feels like a prerequisite of late.

Georgia, 2021 *
by DBCooper  (2021-11-12 15:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2015 Alabama? *
by MrE  (2021-11-12 15:46:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Another fun game: Would we be undefeated if Jurkovec
by NDCuse  (2021-11-12 15:13:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had stayed?

We still lack enough elite talent to win it all, particularly on defense but and experienced mobile QB might have helped for the first half of the season. C'est la vie.

What if Justin Tuck stayed
by RJD  (2021-11-12 15:44:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or how about Tom Carter and the Bus?

I think we would be undefeated and a threat if Phil had been able to deal with the angst.

What if we had Hamilton next year?

And so it goes.

What's wrong with you, friend?
by ThreeD  (2021-11-12 15:55:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

TC and Bettis? Why would you tear that scar open? I've played that, "what if ..." game too many times.

In all seriousness, great examples.

Great examples, great scars, and the empty, endless,
by Hati Hijau  (2021-11-12 21:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bottomless pit that awaits one who plays that game. Been there, done that, too many times since 1964, and Huarte's Heisman Award. Yet, I never learn; every injury, ineligibility, declaration for the draft, and transfer demands a "What If." In Indonesian it would be, "tidak apa-apa saja." It just doesn't matter. Thank God, for Tim Brown.

Wouldn't change the defense *
by Nyirish08  (2021-11-12 14:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't realize our defense was why we lost to Cinci*
by NDavenue  (2021-11-12 14:55:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You would have a point wrt our potential performance in the CFP though.

Favorite to get in the playoff or favorite to win?
by StetsonDan  (2021-11-12 13:12:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even with good OL development and more recruiting hits, I don't think ND would have had the transcendent QB to overcome our lack of elite WR and CB talent to be favored to win the playoff over a team like Georgia.

As far as being favored to get into the playoff, I think it would depend on how we had looked in our wins. If we had the same results as now but had beat Cincy by less than 10 points, then I think we'd be around the same situation as Oklahoma is right now: a good but flawed team that hasn't looked great despite being undefeated.

Make the playoffs
by SEE  (2021-11-12 14:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UGA's defense is historically good.

"More recruiting hits" is kind of a broad modifier.
by austindomer  (2021-11-12 12:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that better OL play obviously would have allowed Coan more time to set his feet and throw this year. We've seen proof that he has decent arm strength and accuracy when he gets good protection, and this could have made the difference in the Cincinnati game. The defense did a pretty good job that day, with only the Bearcats' last TD drive to ice the game the real inexcusable breakdown. So, better execution on offense to convert one of our failed drives into a score could have made the difference.

But, "more recruiting hits" could mean a lot things. Had we gotten a few more elite skill players and DLs over the last three recruiting classes, yeah that could have made a huge difference. Kyle Hamilton is a stellar athlete, but imagine if we had someone of his caliber in the LB corps or on the line (NB: JOK was pretty close). Totally different team.

So, yeah, one or two more home-run recruits and an OL actually playing up to its talent level and we'd be undefeated and in the mix for the playoffs.