There is one great team this year, thus far.
by mocopdx (2021-11-11 12:03:12)

In reply to: Who doesn’t “blow goats” this year?  posted by Chicagond99

Georgia.

Then there are 3-5 teams I think could give Georgia a game if they bring their A game. Then about 20 teams(we are one) who could give those 3-5 teams a game if they bring their A game, but have no shot against Georgia. Then the shit teams.

That's how I see it, at least.

Georgia didn't look so hot vs Clemson, but
by ravenium  (2021-11-11 13:01:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that was early season. And they did win, then didn't really blink going forward. Other than that I've got nothing.

They held Clemson to 3 points
by tf86  (2021-11-12 09:37:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah, I know Clemson is down this year, but that's still an impressive defensive effort. Offense wasn't so great (the lone TD came on a Pick Six, IIRC) but has shown improvement over the year.

right. # of teams capable of winning the national title.
by MrE  (2021-11-11 12:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably the same as in any year (?), or close to it.

ND is in the giant clump, along with UTSA, Cincinnati, Toledo, Penn State, Kentucky, et al. of not being capable of winning the national title.

That binary thinking should suffice for ND alums and fans.

I think there is 1 team
by MAS  (2021-11-11 12:26:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgia’s defense is better than anyone’s D by a mile and they have a very good offense. Usually I peg the number at 3-4 teams with a relatively close chance. Ohio St, Clemson, Bama usually the 3 every year with maybe Georgia sliding in. When the 4th playoff team is ND or even Oklahoma I still only see 3 capable. This year the difference between 1 vs the 2-4 seems much greater than normal. Bama and Ohio St are a hair behind their normal dominance and have some bigger warts than normal. and well I cannot explain Clemson. Holy lord bad.

I can't remember a year when Oklahoma 'slid in' as a...
by irishdemon  (2021-11-11 12:28:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... viable national title contender - even with their Heisman quarterbacks and playoff appearances.

in 2017, OU went to OT against Georgia in the semifinal.
by MrE  (2021-11-11 12:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Georgia team lost in the title game to Alabama in OT. So perhaps 2017 OU could be considered title-worthy.

Their lack of D (like this year) usually keeps them out
by MAS  (2021-11-11 12:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That team as you said may have been an exception

Speaking of their lack of D
by tf86  (2021-11-12 09:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was surprised that the 2018 team got into the CFP even as a 4 seed. If you watched them play at all that year, that wasn't even a Top 50 defense.

3. Same as every year.
by irishdemon  (2021-11-11 12:16:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only this year replace Clemson with Georgia. Yeah, I'll throw Ohio St. in there as a team that has the horses to beat Georgia and Alabama if they get there. Oregon & Cincinnati would be road kill. As would Michigan, MSU and everybody else on down the list.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

College football: The greatest regular season. The worst postseason.