Those are handy excuses
by BIG MAC (2021-08-08 21:58:34)

In reply to: Hard to blame NBC for the Olympics ratings this year  posted by carroll2005

But I think the really big factors were the anti-American temper tantrums by the USWNT and Gwen Brooks. I know my wife, who is a naturalized American citizen was so enraged that she boycotted the rest of the games. I was finally able to get her interested in the Women's 4 by 400 with Sydney McLaughlin, Alison Felix , et al, but those explicitly "Woke" athletes were a big turnoff for many.

I guess you dont watch college football either
by DBCooper  (2021-08-09 13:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

because womens soccer has as much to do with all of the other sports and events as college football does with Colin Kaepernick

Snowflake *
by Siegfried08  (2021-08-09 12:12:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't show her this
by elterrible  (2021-08-09 12:07:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or she may never watch the Olympics again.

John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Peter Norman 1968cr.jpg
By Angelo Cozzi (Mondadori Publishers) -
This file has been extracted from another file: John Carlos, Tommie Smith, Peter Norman 1968.jpg
, Public Domain, Link

Actually she has
by BIG MAC  (2021-08-09 22:54:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And agreed with it because there was still a lot of work to do on actually implementing the civil rights agenda. She is simply tired of free floating hatred of the (adopted) country that she loves.Also I can assure you that neither one of us are "snowflakes". Truly laughable.

There's nothing more American
by elterrible  (2021-08-10 11:03:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than criticizing America.

“free floating hatred”?
by The Holtz Room  (2021-08-09 23:56:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When did any completing athlete say they “hated” America?

Kind of sounds like something Tucker Carlson would say to get people’s undies in a bunch.

Also, good to know all the heavy lifting on civil rights is over and done with. Whew!

Oh for God's sake. *
by ProfKid93  (2021-08-09 10:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think tape delay was the largest factor.
by 84david  (2021-08-09 10:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ESPN and the other networks (esp ABC) gleefully broadcast the results of all of the big events first thing in the morning. So unless you have turned off all media contacts all day, you already know the outcomes long in advance.

I was kinda looking forward to watching the USA hoops gold medal game.
My wife: "Why, we already know the score." I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that this conversation was repeated in many living rooms in the US, throughout the games.

Wasn't the hoops gold medal game live?
by ndzippy  (2021-08-09 12:15:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was on at 10:30 pm ET on Friday night. Wasn't that a live broadcast?

yes *
by DBCooper  (2021-08-09 13:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't forget the "mixed" relay teams. WTF *
by Dadknuknutesson  (2021-08-09 10:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had previously imagined that Big Mac's explanation...
by FL_Irish  (2021-08-09 10:42:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...would win the gold for inane reasons not to watch the Olympics. Clearly I was wrong.

You're outraged that they added a race between teams featuring two men and two women?

Gwen Berry *
by drmurray  (2021-08-09 09:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Forget it, he's rolling *
by elterrible  (2021-08-09 09:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hardly watched any Olympics coverage...
by El Kabong  (2021-08-09 08:10:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...because I consider the IOC one of the most corrupt organizations in the universe (and living where I live, that's saying something), and I'm not going to reward that corruption with eyeballs.

Chicago got screwed out of an Olympics, and I'm never going to forget that.

(yeah yeah, costs and whatnot)

You're just pissed that you will never get to use...
by Bacchus  (2021-08-09 11:35:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that sweet South Side kayaking flume.

When Marty Walsh pulled the plug on Boston's bid...
by 105Marquette  (2021-08-09 09:59:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...for the 2024 summer games I thought the people of Boston might make him mayor for life.

Of the cities that have the financial resources to stage the Olympics, I can't imagine a worse city for hosting them than Boston. The infrastructure needed combined with the logistics would be catastrophic.

Amen
by NDCuse  (2021-08-09 14:17:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the time, the local papers ran a top 10 list of reasons Boston should not host the Olympics. #1 was traffic and #2 was Storrow Drive by itself. It was also noted that T can barely handle when the Red Sox and Bruins/Celtics have home games the same day. So glad it never happened.

The IOC should give thanks every day that FIFA exists *
by NDCuse  (2021-08-09 09:34:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the NFL should give thanks that both IOC and FIFA exist *
by Queensman  (2021-08-09 09:59:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're lucky to be "screwed" so badly. *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-08-09 08:13:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We didn't watch, but for none of those reasons
by fontoknow  (2021-08-09 07:47:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We watch almost no live tv now and have not replaced basic cable since cutting the cord three years ago.

Our viewing patterns have completely changed. I don't think we are alone.

Agreed
by carroll2005  (2021-08-09 07:49:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only thing I regularly watch live is ND football

Our evening TV watching is 100% streaming/netflix etc

Precisely why I and several friends didn't watch...... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-08-09 06:36:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Party on Wayne. *
by The Holtz Room  (2021-08-09 15:33:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our house is no fan of some of the more outspoken athletes
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-08-09 00:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but we are a big track and field household and watched as much as we could. My wife was also watching the Filipina weight-lifter who got gold. Tokyo being 13 hours ahead of NYC is not going to help the ratings. You'd wake up in the morning and the events were pretty much all over, except in certain cases where NBC had altered the schedule.

There is no one single cause: time-zone differences; a key US gymnastics athlete is largely sidelined; mediocre performance by the US men's track and field team; no fans in the stands, and so on. The Paris ratings will be significantly better.

Ratings also terrible in Europe according to Reuters
by FL_Irish  (2021-08-08 22:54:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So the French also decided not to tune in to protest USWNT’s lack of patriotism?

I agree. I wish there was a scorecard.
by domer4  (2021-08-08 22:28:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Like a list of those USA athletes with an axe to grind against the US, versus the ones who are not going to make a political statement if they win a medal.

Without knowing who was who, I just didn't bother to watch and cheer on anybody.

How about those with the wrong views
by ProfKid93  (2021-08-09 10:58:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

get kicked off the Olympic team? Would save you a step.

We already know your political views, ProfKid,
by domer4  (2021-08-09 11:49:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from your hundreds of posts.

I wouldn't need a scorecard for that.

I'm not the one who opened this door. *
by Profkid93  (2021-08-09 17:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post