This is one area where I think the NFL gets it right.
by VT2ND (2021-04-23 07:42:56)

In reply to: Overtime rule changes  posted by SixShutouts66

Full sudden death OT period. If you receive the kickoff and march down the field 40 yards and kick a field goal, other team gets a shot. The problem with college (aside from the fact that it's gimmicky) is that it takes special teams out of the equation.

OT should be a continuation of play from the fourth quarter
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2021-04-24 11:20:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Okay, I’m not actually sure that’s a great idea but it is interesting, and would take the coin flip out of the equation. Would massively change end of regulation strategy, and probably make things less fun.

Field goals are ST’s and often times decide college games
by Athlete37  (2021-04-24 10:33:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve heard the reverse argument that the college OT puts too much emphasis on kickers

I was really alluding to the return game. *
by Vt2nd  (2021-04-24 12:50:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So an extra fair catch? *
by Athlete37  (2021-04-24 18:58:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Do all kickoffs result in fair catches? *
by Vt2nd  (2021-04-24 20:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

3 out of every 5 are touchbacks in college football
by Athlete37  (2021-04-25 00:50:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I would be willing to bet that rate is even higher amongst the Power 5 teams, and higher yet when isolated to games between top 25 teams.

That's 60%. You'd get rid of kickoffs for that? I wouldn't *
by Vt2nd  (2021-04-25 12:56:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hard disagree for me. They need to get closer to the
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-04-23 09:42:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

college model, or at least what it was before. Case in point was the Kansas City and Patriots AFC championship game from 3 years ago. It was painfully obvious neither defense could stop the other team’s offense. Whichever team won a gd coin toss was going to win the game (and also the Super Bowl in my opinion) and that’s exactly what happened.

Not if you make the modification suggested below
by Pat85  (2021-04-23 11:25:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am very surprised the NFL has not already made that adjustment, as this was widely recommended by NFL people in the media prior to the big change in the OT rules. Ensure each team one possession regardless of the score, and that would solve the issues you have with the current system. I would be fine with eliminating an extra point option and requiring a two-point try to make it even more likely to be resolved after two possessions, but any option including the current NFL is better than college which has turned OT into a shootout that eliminates too many of the elements of the normal game, and almost always puts one or both defenses in the horrible position of defending consecutive redzone possessions after having already played 60 minutes.

The only modification I would add to the NFL-style rules
by pmoose  (2021-04-23 08:30:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that each team is guaranteed one possession regardless of the result from the first team on offense. However, I would be happy with the NFL OT rules without this change, and that would make more sense for college if the goal is to shorten OT as much as possible while requiring the same skill set to win said game.

Agreed! The NFL should make that modification
by Pat85  (2021-04-23 08:53:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The college game has changed to the point that a tie using the NFL OT system (or the better version you suggested) is almost impossible, but still not an unthinkable rare result for a regular season game. Put the conference championship games and playoffs under the NFL playoff rules for OT, and you can continue playing football to determine the outcome of the game instead of suddenly switching to arena football.