What is an “edge”? Why not say “defensive end”?
by arch_moore (2024-04-27 17:44:25)

Our viper room is elite. Peace out.

Not as bad as "room" when referring to position group *
by threeleafdomer  (2024-04-29 13:06:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND EDGE room is lookin pretty good! *
by MBOIrish  (2024-04-29 14:29:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Limit the number of synonyms for derrière too
by RJD  (2024-04-28 11:30:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure why you want to restrict the use of words in the English language.

ass posterior rear end

bottom buns buttocks
can cheeks fanny
keister rear seat

heinie

Caboose, empennage, tail *
by arasera  (2024-04-28 16:54:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dupa *
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-28 22:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And a Dobra Shunka to you, sir!
by ArasEra  (2024-05-01 12:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

culo *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-30 11:54:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

asinus *
by RJD  (2024-04-30 12:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While we're at it, Three Technique? *
by Lloyd braun  (2024-04-27 18:23:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Les Grobstein can explain the 3 Technique for you.
by DomerJon  (2024-04-27 22:39:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you've never heard it, google it. RIP Grobber.

It's a newer type of situation *
by chsfb75  (2024-04-30 21:25:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to defend the usage, but I think there's a rationale
by garbageplate  (2024-04-27 18:44:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

EDGE is intended to encompass a traditional 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB, so it's used broadly to define a player whose role is to rush the QB off the edge of the formation. 3-technique (and any "technique" term) is a more specific way to describe where a defensive lineman lines up, although I think 3-technique and 1-technique were described accurately enough with defensive tackle and nose tackle.

sort of
by jt  (2024-04-27 19:08:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

edge can be a DE or outside lb, but they don't always rush from the edge; their job is to set the edge in the running game and (depending on the scheme and call) either force plays back inside to interior (ILB) pursuit or spill plays outside to exterior (S) pursuit.

A 3 technique can be either strong side (even front, which will have two DE's on the OT's, a DT to strength lined up outside shade of the guard, and a DT over the weakside guard lined up inside--commonly called a 2i) or to the weak side in an "under" front (a Pete Carroll specialty--2 DE's, one DT lined up in either an inside shade of the guard in a 2i or a shade on the center in a 1 or a tilt, and a 3 technique to the weakside, and usually an OLB or SS lined up outside the TE). When you line up the 3 to the weakside, you're trying to dictate the protection/slide call for the OL and create a backside 1 on 1 for the 3 and WDE. If you run that from an odd front (3 DL, 4 LB's), the WLB usually lines up as a WDE in a stand up, then the 3, then the 1 to strength, then the 5, than the Sam OLB in a stand up. The Niners used to run that front a lot under George Seifert when they had Charles Haley (played the "Elephant" hybrid between a DE and OLB) and then later Chris Doleman. Their DL at the time looked like this from strong to weak-5,0,3. You need a dominant NT to really do it.

I was just going to say exactly that. *
by PWK2  (2024-04-28 13:18:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always love these explanations
by garbageplate  (2024-04-27 20:47:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I should've mentioned that the DE/OLB also has run responsibility, but I think the term "EDGE" is intended to apply whether the DE is actually on the line with his hand on the ground or standing up outside. Whether 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB, they are similar in body type (as opposed to a 3-4 DE).

Edge can be stand up olb in a 3-4 as well
by jt  (2024-04-28 00:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For example, in a 3-4 under if you walk the olb up to strength, in the running game he is the edge and the sde in the 5 isn't.

Then who are the Dutch? *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-27 19:52:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And who has sex with the hen? *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-30 11:59:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's perverse! *
by Camarillo Brillo  (2024-05-01 07:00:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They know a little something about Tommy guns.
by SWPaDem  (2024-04-29 07:31:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not to be confused with dirty coppers and a different ethnic group.

True confession
by drmurray  (2024-04-28 12:12:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tremendous post.

Very well done

I don’t know why, but I thought it was genius

True confession
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-28 12:28:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As I often post in music/movie/tv quotes, I realize there are times it’s only going to be picked up by a small percentage of posters.

I’m not talking about comedic impact, more so tone and timing.

I appreciate your compliment.

If you aren't Dutch
by Lloyd braun  (2024-04-27 21:10:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You aren't much.

They’ll get to it
by ram  (2024-04-27 18:38:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When the thrill of calling DE, “edge” wears offs