Ha, if it wasn't for you meddling kids
by gregmorrissey (2024-03-13 11:00:35)

In reply to: Huge Difference  posted by nDTwice

Does athlete compensation whether capped or uncapped ruin any of the other professional sports?

Personally, I don't feel like it's being ruined. Sure, it's changing, but I don't think most of those changes are for the worse. But, let's concede your argument that the changes are ruining college football. It's not the lack of a cap. It's trying to hold on to the farce of amateurism rather than just conceding they aren't amateurs and contracting accordingly. I'm not a fan of a cap on compensation because I think there are too many buyers and too little supply and any cap will immediately be undermined by a grey market similar to the system we had before with $100 handshakes and have now with NIL.

Just let the two parties contract like any highly valued professionals contract including termination clauses and clawbacks and reasonable non-competes, etc.

To the original point of the thread, Nick Saban's opinion should be listened to, but it should also be acknowledged that he earned generational wealth on the back of the free labor system and had the following clause in his contract.

Saban’s contract states that the Crimson Tide will be required to increase Saban’s “total guaranteed annual compensation” if it becomes less than the average of either the three highest-paid SEC coaches or the five highest-paid FBS coaches.

So, he's not exactly unbiased on the topic of splitting the pie.

Replies: