Ha, if it wasn't for you meddling kids
by gregmorrissey (2024-03-13 11:00:35)

In reply to: Huge Difference  posted by nDTwice

Does athlete compensation whether capped or uncapped ruin any of the other professional sports?

Personally, I don't feel like it's being ruined. Sure, it's changing, but I don't think most of those changes are for the worse. But, let's concede your argument that the changes are ruining college football. It's not the lack of a cap. It's trying to hold on to the farce of amateurism rather than just conceding they aren't amateurs and contracting accordingly. I'm not a fan of a cap on compensation because I think there are too many buyers and too little supply and any cap will immediately be undermined by a grey market similar to the system we had before with $100 handshakes and have now with NIL.

Just let the two parties contract like any highly valued professionals contract including termination clauses and clawbacks and reasonable non-competes, etc.

To the original point of the thread, Nick Saban's opinion should be listened to, but it should also be acknowledged that he earned generational wealth on the back of the free labor system and had the following clause in his contract.

Saban’s contract states that the Crimson Tide will be required to increase Saban’s “total guaranteed annual compensation” if it becomes less than the average of either the three highest-paid SEC coaches or the five highest-paid FBS coaches.

So, he's not exactly unbiased on the topic of splitting the pie.

Deleted *
by nDTwice (click here to email the poster)  (2024-03-13 14:15:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Re your first sentence. No but .
by nDTwice (click here to email the poster)  (2024-03-13 12:24:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In pro football, for example, there is a LIMITING.or CONTROLLING factor. GB spends a high percentage of its available money on an elite QB, the other positions suffer. It’s this controlling factor, I think, Saban wants to work into the new system in some manner to maintain some sort of balance between teams and conferences.

I also feel Saban’s financial gain from football is of secondary interest. The main focus should be, in my view, on structuring this new financial incentive into college football in as functional a way as possible. Your view on being clearer that it is no loner an armature sport is indeed a promising option.

Salary caps are in place to save owners from themselves
by gregmorrissey  (2024-03-13 12:45:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That the salary cap also helps to spread the talent and increase league parity is only a nice byproduct.

I just don't think a salary cap will work in college football as it's currently constructed. Maybe once the Big Ten and SEC form their own governing body and there are only 35 to 40 members with a strong centralized league office and commissioner then a salary cap will be able to work.

If Nick Saban is willing to answer truthfully to his God that he is unaware of any illegal payments made to players he recruited and coached over his career then I'll take his comments about balance seriously. Otherwise, I interpret them as typical old man "things aren't good like they used to be" rhetoric.

I don't know that things used to be "good"
by ndalum1  (2024-03-14 18:20:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I do know that things right now are fucked up. Ten years from now, I'm guessing people will look at the changes cfb is undergoing right now and wonder how anyone could have thought it would be good--on net--for kids/players.