ACross Reports: everythings Costco sells sucks balls
by ACross (2019-11-05 15:47:34)

In reply to: Consumer Reports: Best Black Friday Costco TV deals  posted by G.K.Chesterton

And everyone who buys anything there is a hoosier.

The chicken pot pie we had for dinner last night
by BottleofRed  (2019-11-06 12:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was better than I was expecting. Granted, it was not as good as homemade. But B13 was in charge of dinner, so it was good enough.

It's where many of us natives load up on Indy 500 supplies
by meatwhistle  (2019-11-06 09:36:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I like to re-fortify my Funyun and Fresca supplies no more than bi-annually.

Costco membership is like a boat and a pool
by thecontrarian (click here to email the poster)  (2019-11-06 08:26:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't want to own one but I want to have friends who do.

I live alone so I don't really have room for a 5-gal bucket of laundry detergent.

However, it's nice to go shopping there with someone who has a Costco membership.

I'm single with two kids (~50% custody)
by wcnitz  (2019-11-06 08:43:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Costco/Kirkland detergent and softener lasts me 9-12 months. It's great. I buy napkins once a year. Paper towels twice a year.

People do fail to realize, though, that a lot of the perishable items they sell aren't in large quantities. Or, they're large quantities already split up into smaller ones - like their organic/grass-fed beef which is basically 4 pounds split into 3 sealed packages. Perfect for Taco Tuesday.

Most times you post, I visualize this
by BigBadBrewer  (2019-11-06 07:36:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ACross as a kid?

Costco kicks ass and you're missing out.
by Anthro_Domer  (2019-11-06 00:11:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on Alcohol alone, it's worth it. They have XO cognac for $60 or so. I can get a prime 18 lbs brisket and make enough smoked brisket to feed a family of 11 for a week. Their mixed nuts are outstanding too.

Plus, the people watching is always great if you hate people.

Do you have a family of 11?
by ACross  (2019-11-06 00:24:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would they like to eat brisket for a week?

I don’t drink booze. Or buy in bulk.

Not sure what mixed bus is

Sorry. Mixed nuts.
by anthro_domer  (2019-11-06 04:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their meat is very solid though. For a while they were the only place I could consistently find prime meat. That's changed, but their prices are still unbeatable.

To each their own though. A local butcher is a great thing, but hard to find sometimes.

Have you discovered Paulina Meat Market yet?
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-11-06 06:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You won’t buy meat at Costco again.

Been there multiple times. Love their sausages.
by anthro_domer  (2019-11-06 14:36:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But you can't beat Costco for prime meat prices.

Publican too
by HScorpio  (2019-11-06 08:51:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although it’s very pricy.

Both Paulina & Publican are overpriced.
by The Beef  (2019-11-06 09:32:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Gepperth’s to that list as well. Chicago used to have some great butcher shops and fish mongers in the West Loop. Olympia meats was fantastic. Prime cuts at low prices. Isaac & Stein had a great selection of fresh fish at wholesale prices. Neither place was for the faint of heart as they were both wholesale shops with a small retail business.

The rise of Randolph Street and Fulton Market claimed both as casualties, along with a handful of similar businesses. I guess CHICAGO needs more shitty noodle restaurants and generic high rise apartment buildings.

Try Ellengee in Jefferson Park
by irishaddict  (2019-11-06 13:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's my replacement for Olympia. I was very sad when Olympia shut down.

Agreed.
by ChicagoWave03  (2019-11-06 12:10:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I have certainly frequented Paulina over the years (and Dirk's on the fish side), but they really are over priced, particularly compared to those old west loop places.

Imperial Lamian is serviceable.
by OCND  (2019-11-06 09:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I'm more likely to just keep walking to Bavette's.

And you're a self-proclaimed wine connoisseur?
by Jurassic  (2019-11-05 20:32:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pfffff.

They do (or used to) double manufacturer warranties.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2019-11-05 18:19:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see that Consumer Reports got out their decoder ring to decode the Costco-specific model numbers to compare to the real world.

What good is two pieces of crap? *
by ACross  (2019-11-05 19:25:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not so far
by El Kabong  (2019-11-05 18:09:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The OLED TV in our living room is of excellent quality.

I mean, it's name brand stuff
by ravenium  (2019-11-06 12:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not like it's AmazonBasicsTV. Unless Costco is buying up factory defect TVs from Sony/Samsung, of course.

One of these years and tailgaters I feel like I need the fully Andy story.

I think you just like overpaying for things.
by FatBaldingJerk  (2019-11-05 17:37:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The produce, meat, and dairy at Costco is as good or better than what you will find at Schnucks or Dierbergs.

Store brand Kirkland is better than name brand for diapers, wipes, and formula.

Whatever, I'm just still mad you're painting over a fucking mahogany door.

Costco is good if you plan/have a family
by ravenium  (2019-11-05 20:44:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't quite justify buying steak 10 lbs at a time, but I've found that some prep time plus a Food Saver means you're set for days for meal components. The meat itself is 100% just as good as you're going to find in most fancy pants grocery stores (out here is whole foods/new seasons), and I have a feeling anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves or wants wagyu.

Now fish I'm a bit biased about - Costco salmon is fine but that's about it. You're going to have to pony up some dough if you're particular.

I can't possibly think of anything appropriate to do with 64 oz of mustard.

Their diapers aren't as good as top of the line pampers
by fontoknow  (2019-11-05 18:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or top of the line Huggies.

They are made by KC and are generally the same quality as Huggies middle market brand.

We did love their wipes. They were custom speced from what I could figure...

I’ve got 5 kids.
by manofdillon  (2019-11-05 21:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m not a skinflint and will pay more for name brands if there is some appreciable difference in quality, but after 5, I have yet to figure out what makes Pampers better than Kirkland brand diapers. They seem to hold the shit in well enough.

Pampers seemed more absorbent and thinner
by fontoknow  (2019-11-05 23:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also thought the liner seemed more comfortable.

I almost certainly gave too much thought to this at the time. Thankfully, we haven't bought diapers in a few years now.

Your last sentence is one of the best brand
by usmcirish  (2019-11-05 22:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

endorsements I have read in a long time.

If Kirkland does not put this on their packaging, they have lost their minds.

We swear by costco huggies
by mintirish  (2019-11-05 19:41:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are more absorbent then the huggies I have found elsewhere. They are the best for overnight

I buy meat at Straub's, Truffles or Annie Gunn's
by ACross  (2019-11-05 17:50:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless it's hamburger. Why skimp on meat? I do go to Schnuck's pretty often but don't buy meat there. Hint: they have great wine. There is a wine cellar at the wine I frequent.

I don't know where you are getting your nonsense about diapers and wipes. I just hate buying in bulk and having too much shit laying around taking up space.

My wife gets the diapers delivered. Honest brand I believe. The pull ups are different. Wipes? Whatever prevents diaper rash/swamp ass.

For milk, we generally get whatever is most local for the little one, but the older one has a dairy allergy so not a big purchase item.

We were stuck with Nutramigen for formula for both kids, not a choice we made. Made the diapers fragrant though.

We made 2 trips to Costco and it sucked so bad we quit. And my wife otherwise likes a bargain. But she has taste, manifestly and isn't easily hoodwinked.

Door still in the paint shop.

Schnuck’s is great.
by Bruno95  (2019-11-06 10:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I always shopped there in Champaign. Schnuck’s fucks.

You have to remember, this crowd goes to Great-Clips
by The Holtz Room  (2019-11-05 18:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they are not follicly blessed like you and I.

Nah, I use a Flowbee *
by NDEE01  (2019-11-05 21:45:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hey, I wouldn't be caught dead in Great Clips.
by LocalSubAlum  (2019-11-05 18:34:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I go to Fast Eddie's.

Wow. The prices are absurd.
by Steelhop  (2019-11-05 15:58:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In 2005, I bought my 50' Pioneer for about 5K and, even knowing prices would continue to drop I thought it was a good deal. I still have it on one of my walls. I want to replace but it still works well.

These prices are IN-SANE!!! *
by bizdomer09  (2019-11-05 21:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How damn big is your living room
by gozer  (2019-11-05 20:54:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mr. Tufnel?

and the products are shit *
by ACross  (2019-11-05 16:36:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you seem like a Sharper Image catalog shopper *
by ravenium  (2019-11-05 17:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that's it *
by ACross  (2019-11-05 17:16:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Figured you'd enjoy that * *
by ravenium  (2019-11-05 20:39:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post