this song was the sh-t in 1982
by jt (2024-04-26 17:13:18)

we can all laugh and say "yacht rock" or whatever the fuck now but if you were alive in 1982 and this song came on the radio, you're goddamn right that knob was going straight to 11 (because 11 is one louder).

And yes, I have been day drinking. What of it?

Still is! They killed it Saturday opening for Journey. *
by coalcracker  (2024-04-29 09:10:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was never a fan, but it’s growing on me
by drmurray  (2024-04-28 12:10:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that it matters much, but horrible lip-synching

Preach, jt. Preach. You had to have been there. *
by Ryno  (2024-04-26 23:46:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a great 3-minute song...
by Revue Party  (2024-04-26 23:09:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...that clocked in at 5:32.

That's part of its charm.
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-27 09:20:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The verses and chorus are catchy, have an interesting chord structure, and have multiple rhythmic feels. Good for that.

The song is 5:32 because of the two instrumental breaks, which turn the song from "pretty good" to "kick ass". The first is an almost proggy arrangement of overlapping synth runs and scripted guitar solo (a bit Kansas-like), and the second is a combination of a bluesie piano solo and a guitar face-melter (into the fade).

If push came to shove, I think you could cut the second instrumental, but that is the only thing that gives the song rocker street cred.

They did it all when Ringo's band played it
by El Kabong  (2024-04-28 11:26:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Steve Lukather is in the latest edition of the All-Starr Band, and when G26 and I saw them at Chicago Theater, they did Rosanna and Africa and Hold the Line. Rosanna easily went 10 minutes.

More like "suck rock."
by BeastOfBourbon  (2024-04-26 22:14:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stylized musical pablum that perfectly symbolized the tedium of the 80s. The end of rock-and-roll as we once knew it. The best thing you could say about Toto is that they weren't Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, or the Pet Shop Boys.

I know Across loves the Pet Shop Boys
by jt  (2024-04-27 17:42:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and honestly, I like their songs as well.

They just released a new album on Friday *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-28 12:21:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what have I, what have I, what have I
by jt  (2024-04-28 18:57:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

done to deserve this?

Let me guess
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-27 09:25:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You prefer Bruce's own version of "Blinded by the Light" to Manfred Mann's version.

I'm a sucker for songs with some complexity in the instrumentation/orchestration, no matter the genre.

That said, I grok the Venn diagram circle you are drawing.

Whoa that is a controversial position - preferring
by ACross  (2024-04-27 14:36:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Springsteen's version over the crap version.

I will say this. Weezer sucks, and their version of a shit Toto song sucked.

I like Bruce's version.
by doolinbanjos  (2024-04-27 17:31:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's not controversial, just an observation that someone who despises Toto is probably going to prefer the raw Bruce version of BBTL over Manfred's saucy version.

I like them both, the way I like Dylan's and Hendrix's versions of Watchtower.

For me, it will always be That Old Time Rock and Roll...
by Barney68  (2024-04-27 09:23:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you better get yourself a partner, go down to the concert
by jt  (2024-04-27 17:44:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

or the local bar.
Check the local newspaper, chances are you won't have to go too far.

You keep Duran Duran’s name out of your whore mouth.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-26 22:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ve held up and have continued to put out good music. Their live shows continue to be phenomenal.

And honestly the Pet Shop Boys are iconic.

I have no opinion on Flock of Seagulls.

Don’t sleep on Joanna. Kool and the Gang. *
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-26 22:11:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

too hot
by jt  (2024-04-27 18:22:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

actually, in 1981 it was "Celebration" that was the shit.

I stand by Toto. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-26 21:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yer boi Porp...
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-27 09:38:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is floored by some of the reactions in this thread. Where do these posters get off?

Answer to your question.
by arasera  (2024-04-28 17:16:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Massage parlors.

This song sucks. Africa slaps.
by Wooderson  (2024-04-27 06:24:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the OG Dune soundtrack saved that movie.

I was super happy to see Kyle Maclachlan get to unleash the Paul Atreides within in Fallout after having been known to a generation of people as Charlotte's barren husband.

Could hear the rising chorus and the rainfall as he drowns that raider.

The purdie shuffle is cool. *
by Bertrand  (2024-04-26 21:39:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fun fact…
by hepcat  (2024-04-27 00:21:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jeff Porcoro blended the Purdie Shuffle and John Bonham’s Fool in the Rain shuffle (itself a riff on the Purdie shuffle for Rosanna

It is a horrific song
by ACross  (2024-04-26 20:22:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoy the clearmalt

Mick music lover *
by jt  (2024-04-26 20:55:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You have an extra word in your subject line *
by gozer  (2024-04-26 18:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were all Great Studio Musicians
by Bill Melton  (2024-04-26 17:54:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

https://gooseneckmusic.com/blog/blog/toto-was-the-studio-band-for-tons-of-other-artists

USA is no place for long hair weirdos and their rock n’ roll
by Frank Drebin  (2024-04-26 17:36:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

America would be a place without any problems, if we only just poured ourselves a nice tall 16oz glass of scotch, sat back in our La-Z-Boy recliners and put on a Perry Como record. Dammit!

When my FIL passed, we had to go through his stuff
by Wooderson  (2024-04-27 06:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And do some cleaning.

He loved Sinatra. We now have original vinyl from the 50's, and it's really good stuff. Props to Jim, he had a great collection.

Our favorite is the Playboy Club All Stars, 4 record set, with Duke, Dizzy, etc.

Prior owners of our house had a janky whole home audio system that I was able to retrofit with a turntable and production level audio distribution, talk about some smooth jazz tunes.

That 16 oz glass of Scotch....
by mkovac  (2024-04-26 20:07:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's neat, right?

As Barry Fitzgerald said in "The Quiet Man," "When I'm drinkin' whiskey, I'm drinkin' whiskey. When I'm drinkin' water, I'm drinkin water."

Sage advice, in my opinion.

A shot of Scotch, neat, with a waterback.

It is a good song
by jmac95  (2024-04-26 17:25:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The video is a good example or early 80s videos. It seems that the video wants to be West Side Story when it grows up. My snark aside, she seems to be an outstanding dancer.

My younger son has autism and will dance around listening to music that appeals to him. His tastes are completely his own and unburdened by convention.

Rosanna is in his rotation. Also included are:

Main Street by Bob Seger.
Style by Taylor Swift
Drift Away by Dobie Gray (not Uncle Kracker)
Life is a Highway by Rascall Flats (not Tom Cochrane)
Make My Dreams Come True by Hall & Oates
Take on Me by A-Ha

His dancing is more of a running and hopping around the house listening to these songs on an I-pad. As he bops in and out of rooms upstairs there is a kind of doppler effect to these songs in the background of the home.

Enjoy Day Drinking

I think your son might like this song
by jt  (2024-04-26 17:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you haven't tried it yet.

this also might be a good one

The reason...
by Porpoiseboy  (2024-04-26 17:23:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they did the soundtrack for Dune in 84 was because they ruled.

More like the knob was going to the next station!
by knutesteen  (2024-04-26 17:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is WAOR, Niles Michigan. AOR radio. That song was played multiple times daily, and almost impossible to avoid.
And, if you don't drink in the morning, you can't drink all day...

I agree - searching for this song driving my 1968 Caprice
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 17:34:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And rather than turning the knob, I was pushing in the radio buttons since they were properly set to the five best FM stations. (and I had no 8-track of this song)

Yup-preset buttons = old school radio. *
by knutesteen  (2024-04-26 19:00:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bite your tongue, communist *
by jt  (2024-04-26 17:22:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean it’s no Africa…
by vermin05  (2024-04-26 17:20:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which still gets cranked to this day.

Agree. Great tune. *
by PabloFanque  (2024-04-27 10:24:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Few tunes are. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-26 18:38:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post