Lord Toranaga doesn’t suffer fools.
by Inigomontoya (2024-04-25 18:18:11)
Edited on 2024-04-25 18:24:10

Enjoying Shogun though it is a little slow in spots. I yearn for war.

Toranaga has a Dumbledore problem
by El Kabong  (2024-04-26 11:57:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm trying to find the substack I read yesterday that talked about this. Edit: Found it, linked it.

Basically it says the Dumbledore problem in the Potter books (Dumbledore is Always Right and Explains it All) is that he's always right about everything and even when things seem to be going wrong, he explains how even the mis-steps were part of the overall plan. The reduces if not eliminates the stakes for the other characters.

The author contends Toranaga has the same issue -- like the Emperor, everything that transpires does so according to his design.

He misses that the story is Mariko's expression of faith. *
by dfw  (2024-04-26 19:01:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the current series, it seemed like Toranaga was really
by 1978Irish  (2024-04-26 12:49:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

beaten before his son died and gave him the long mourning period to set up the plan. I don’t remember that in the book. If doesn’t have mourning period it seems like he has to either surrender or fight while badly outnumbered.

My recollection of the book from over 40 years ago was that he was always in control. Everyone was a chess piece on his board. I am going to have to re-read the book.

Good, good…. *
by The Holtz Room  (2024-04-26 12:13:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was great. Much more subtle than GOT. I don't need a
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 11:11:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

war scene. I like fighting too. But that was not the essence of the book or the film and it all worked IMO. Anna Sawai was great.

I highly suggest anyone into the Asian vibe consider watching Giri/Haji and Tokyo Vice (more modern tales involving Tokyo). I loved Warrior as well for a stateside Asian historical tale.

I agree with the suggestion below to do Tai Pan as an 8-part series (not as a 2 hour movie as tried before).

I would appreciate suggestions on TV shows involving Asian settings and actors.

It had a head start. Clavell’s book is brilliant
by sprack  (2024-04-26 15:30:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two books I couldn’t put down once I started reading them were by Clavell, Shogun and King Rat. I’ve never read Tai-Pan but probably should.

Enjoyed Tai Pan. About the founding of Hong Kong. Less
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 17:41:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

focused on Chinese history than Shogun is on the Japanese history and people.

The American characters in Tokyo Vice were annoying.
by Queensman  (2024-04-26 11:25:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ken Watanabe is excellent in everything he's in. Shô Kasamatsu as Sato stole the show. He became a star in this series! Rinko Kikuchi (Emi), Ayumi Ito (Misaki), and Ayumi Tanida (Tozawa) were excellent as well.

However, every scene that had either Jake or Samantha in it made me want to throw something at the screen!

That said, I really hope it comes back with rebooted story for a Season 3. Apparently, there were other books by the real life Jake Adelstein about crime in Japan outside of Yakuza that would make fascinating story lines.

Also, the real life person Tozawa based off of was never caught and lived into his seventies.

I watched and loved Girl/Haji as well. I was hoping for a season 2 of that as well. Guess not.

I will give them credit for actually speaking Japanese
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 11:33:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Couldn't be many who can even do that. Jake as a character is weaselly so maybe that all fits. I was horrified at what he did giving up a source. I was not as tough on Samantha.

Oh yeah...I think it was well acted by both.
by Queensman  (2024-04-26 11:40:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it was by design to show the American characters as more driven by emotion and ambition than their Japanese counterparts.

He really did break the story about the FBI cutting a deal with a Yakuza boss. Its also true that said boss never really gave the FBI anything important. It would be pretty ballsy if the real life Jake actually gave up a source....and put it in the show. It is a mortal sin of journalism.

Anna Sawai deserves any Emmy
by wcnitz  (2024-04-26 11:12:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As does the actor who played Yabishuge.

I hope to see more of these actors
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 11:19:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Japanese people have many great actors and I have just never paid much attention. Some show up as 1 character in a big budget movie. Watching them all work together in Shogun, Giri/Haji and Tokyo Vice (where anglos are the minorities) has been a revelation.

Here is one to try on
by Shifty  (2024-04-26 12:44:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Perfect Days is a movie released last year starring Koji Yakusho. I'm not sure how to really describe this movie. But it is worth the short run time if you have the chance to see it:

Apparently, Makiko Watanabe is a megastar in Japan.
by Queensman  (2024-04-26 11:36:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I read that it surprised people in Japan that she seemingly had such a minor role in the series (Tozawa's wife). You completely find out why in the last few episodes! They kept that under wraps for a few years.

She was great. So understated. Again, the quiet scheming
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 12:18:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

featured in these films is very interesting. Different from the bombast one is used to.

TV Party tonight! *
by irishnyer  (2024-04-26 10:17:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would like to see them do Taipan *
by TheRC  (2024-04-26 10:08:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed *
by Raoul  (2024-04-26 11:11:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kill your TV *
by ACross  (2024-04-26 09:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Sat down for a drink in her father's favorite chair"
by cujays96  (2024-04-26 09:39:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not unlike Mr. Takahashi *
by Moff  (2024-04-25 22:45:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shit Bow
by Shifty  (2024-04-26 10:51:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am particularly fond of this episode because in addition to being really funny overall, the guy that plays the Host at the restaurant is a friend of mine. He pops up in all sorts of shows and I love it when I'm watching TV and he appears.

Are you…disgruntled? *
by Frank Drebin  (2024-04-26 10:18:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Baka!!!! *
by airborneirish  (2024-04-26 10:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent series. But Cosmo's voice gets me every time.
by Irishted  (2024-04-25 22:38:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That over-the-top, foul-mouthed Richard Burton impression is a hoot.

Agreed. His acting is so overbearing
by baronbutler  (2024-04-26 08:50:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s really the only thing that pulls you out of the story.

Try listening to his music *
by one4thegipper  (2024-04-26 12:34:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just watched episode 8. Whoa. *
by Barrister  (2024-04-25 22:22:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You’re gonna keep yearning *
by carroll2005  (2024-04-25 21:06:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post