Looking for the NDN employment fairy
by El Kabong (2024-04-22 10:17:18)
Edited on 2024-04-22 12:55:08

Having seen some folks able to get back on the horse job-wise via the board, I figured it was high time to see if the NDN job mojo can be of help.

No, not for me, I'm fine. This is for G26 and B25, my progeny, who have found themselves on the wrong end of layoffs in the last couple months.

As I've mentioned before, both are on the spectrum, although high-functioning. B25 has had a health issue or two since his layoff that has set his job search back a bit, but he's back at it now. G26 never lost her house- and pet-sitting contacts, so she's been able to gig-economy her way along since her layoff, but something a little more stable would be welcome.

I know some NDN folks have been very helpful to them these past few months, and that help remains greatly appreciated.

G26's previous job was in Development office at our local university. She did a lot of database managing, bookkeeping, keeping stock of supplies, organizing files, designing invitations, and calling constituents/sponsors. She majored in English/Creative Writing in school, and also did work covering events for the school (pictures and write-ups). Loves volunteering and animals.

B25's previous job was as a programmer for a large consulting company, and he's looking for something in the tech space. He's done a lot with Python, C#, Java, and SQL, along with some .Net work. He excels in environments that are well-structured. While remote work would be easiest for him at the moment as he works his way back into the workforce, on-site is fine for him as well.

I believe both would be open to relocation outside of Chicago, but given their overall situations, it's something we'd need to think about.

If any of these seem applicable, please hit the Contact Ops link or respond here. Appreciativeness in advance, naturally.

One more thing about B25 is his ability to see the
by URwhatUR  (2024-04-22 23:15:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

big picture of projects. He wants to understand the full scope so he can make the best decisions and help serve as a liaison between the PM and techies.

I was really impressed when he talked about that, as it seems atypical yet valuable.

He has a great personality for a highly technical person with you as his Dad! :) I like him and recommend people who hire those techies give him a call.

Paging Jack Swarbrick *
by NDManorite  (2024-04-22 16:25:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is what I teach everyone:
by irishnyer (click here to email the poster)  (2024-04-22 12:55:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Audit your skills. Everyone has transferrable skills. Research growth industries. Elder care, clean water, clean air, plumbing, urban design, PT/OT/ST, psychedelics to name a few.

2. Update Linkedin to reflect where you want to go, not where you've been or where you are now. This branding is key. Create regular content of the growth industries you want to be in. The personal brand you fashion will attract people to you.

3. Network like crazy. Get out and meet people you don't know. Digital content at scale is a key part of this.

4. Interview everywhere. It's all practice before the one you land.

If you want to learn how to do this, email.

Good advice *
by Raoul  (2024-04-22 13:35:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How close are you to Aurora, IL?
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-04-22 10:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We have a principal engineer role open at our Aurora lab, which he's not qualified for experience-wise but he could apply to see if they would entertain a non-senior role for him.

Key requirements:

Proficient in C and Python.
Experience in programming embedded software on Linux platform.
Experience with software development in accordance with RTCA DO-178C.
Test, Debugging and Integration experience on embedded systems.
Experience with version control systems (preferably Git).
Experience with interfaces such as MIL-STD-1553 and ARINC-429.

Desired Skills:

Familiarity with working in a Kanban environment.
Experience with Jama a plus.
Experience with Atlassian tools like Jira and Bitbucket a plus.
Experience with LDRA for static analysis a plus

If he has this experience--even some of it--email me at my verizon.net email address and let's discuss. We make some seriously cool stuff at that facility.

Not too far
by El Kabong  (2024-04-22 11:28:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably closer than most, 294 & Cicero / 95th is pretty close.

Let me check with him.

Make sure we talk about this at lunch Wednesday ....
by CJC  (2024-04-22 10:21:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my bride might be useful toward G26's endeavors.

Perhaps my sons might have some ideas, if not possibilities, for B25.