to be fair I think the same of people who say "shredded"
by ravenium (2024-04-21 18:25:57)
Edited on 2024-04-21 18:28:01

In reply to: Ain’t no f’n way  posted by Molly Maguires

This whole business in both directions is just ridiculous. I'm not telling my 80 year old dad to bench press, and the woman in this article is toxic.

Americans like the extremes
by czeche  (2024-04-21 21:11:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All or nothing; balance is boring.

By the way, Molly is spot on with respect to resistance training being even more important in the elderly, and yes doing it safely is crucial.

My father is around the same age
by Molly Maguires  (2024-04-21 20:22:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s doing machines at planet fitness twice a week.

And that’s just perfect.

Weightlifting becomes even more important as you get older. Nobody wants them under a barbell.

But the benefits of resistance training are crucial for the elderly.

I also don’t give a fuck about being “shredded” - I just wanna look good and be healthy.

I've found diet to be 90% of things
by ravenium  (2024-04-22 13:04:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Eating sensibly? Lose weight and keep it off. Drink too much or hit a buffet? Hey, there it goes, right to the ass. You can work out obsessively and it will have minimal effect if you don't eat right.

I should probably do some pushups or something but other than my noodle arms I don't really want a ton of muscle.

As far as old people, keep moving. My dad walks around the home. Mobility is a huge issue for older people so staving that off as long as possible is key.

You won't put on a ton of muscle if you're not eating a ton
by Molly Maguires  (2024-04-22 13:28:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You should, however, be as strong as you can be at all times. Future you thanks you.

It's street hockey season
by ravenium  (2024-04-22 13:59:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Present me probably owes himself some better endurance, too. After I dropped 50 lbs I could better keep up with the chainsmoking 20 year olds, but they still have better stamina.

Nothing will fix my wrister, though.