I'm not a cruise guy.
by BeijingIrish (2024-04-18 11:48:11)

In reply to: Help me convince my wife ...  posted by CJC

It always seems to me that passengers are required to spend too much time at sea in transit and not enough time ashore seeing stuff. Then, there is the requirement to watch one's fellow passengers gorging themselves at the buffet line. Hunger pangs are a symptom of mild seasickness, so you've got these people who spend their days hovering around the buffet table shoving large portions of potato salad into their maw. Then, the Indonesian steward brings out a fresh platter of grilled octopus and someone chunders.

Having said all this, Greece might be one exception to my no-cruise rule. The distances between the islands are not great, and it seems to me that the itineraries are full of interesting stops. If it were I, I'd choose one of the itineraries that includes Istanbul. It is a fascinating place, for me, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Finally, I think you should invite KByrnes, sorin69, and me to accompany you on the trip. We would deliver lectures every night on topical issues: the music of the eastern Med (Kevin); Constantinople vs Rome (Mike); Gallipoli and the Battle of Salamis (BI). It would be a trip of a lifetime.

What about the Scylla and Charbdis?
by mkovac  (2024-04-18 14:31:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oh, pretty! Let's see how close we can .....("Ahhh Noooo!)

How about the Isle of Lesbos? *
by ACross  (2024-04-18 19:34:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd recommend ferries - not cruises
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-18 12:20:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We used ferries to see Croatia and have now gone on 2 Carribbean cruises. I don't think I'd ever want to use a cruise to see cities I was actually excited to explore.

Ferries will get you closer to where you want to be on the islands and you won't have to wait in the long shuttle lines back and forth. It would also provide flexibility if you'd like to spend more time in one place or see something outside of a cruise group.

You'd certainly have to do a lot more planning on your own and paperwork than just paying a cruise line to do it all for you. So it might depend on if you think the planning of a vacation is a big part of the joy of a vacation.

I would attend those lectures, and wouldn’t even need to
by sprack  (2024-04-18 12:12:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

go to Greece. How about a cruise on the Chicago River followed by dinner in Greektown? Opa!