Ah, that could be it
by Cartwright (2024-01-27 12:37:28)

In reply to: I’ve seen the additional caveat -“drafted #1” *  posted by DakotaDomer

Can’t imagine there aren’t any players from the Canadiens, for example, who wouldn’t fit the bill without the additional “number one overall pick” requirement.

Cal was a second round pick *
by sprack  (2024-01-29 14:10:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The post doesn't say anything about the round
by Cartwright  (2024-01-29 15:48:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just "drafted by his hometown team". It was presumably supposed to say something about being the number one overall pick.

Yeah, I missed a key point
by TouchdownJebus  (2024-01-30 12:05:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Joe Mauer of the Twins is the first player in MLB/NBA/NFL/NHL history to be drafted No. 1 overall by a team from his birth state/province, play 15+ seasons for that team and reach the Hall of Fame.

Maurice Richard would be one off the top of my head
by NDNORTH  (2024-01-29 09:38:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the NHL draft wasn't until '63.