nominating Rick Cerone for the HoSM
by plaid_pants (2024-01-09 20:58:50)

Long time lurker trying to pass the off-season and get a reference point for the qualifications required for the Hall of Sustained Mediocrity.

As a Yankee fan in NYC in the 1980's, my first though is to nominate catcher Rick Cerone.

Qualifications:
18 seasons
4,000 AB over 1329G
Career .245AVG .301OBP .343SLG 0.78OPS+
one of the few players to play for both the Expos and the Blue Jays...he was born in New Jersey

Arguments against:
- He only had 4 seasons in an 18-year career where he played over 100 games.
- He finished 7th in the 1980 MVP voting, but I don't really understand how. He had a 1.07 OPS+ and did throw out 51.8% of stolen base attempts, but I think there was mostly a halo effect from replacing the recently deceased Thurman Munson on the Yankees.
- He was 11 for 29 with 3HR batting against Nolan Ryan

Looking at the trades he was involved in, which gives a sense of perceived talent at the time...The Yankees acquired him from the expansion Toronto Blue Jays in a 6 player swap. Chambliss, Damaso Garcia and Paul Mirabella to Toronto; Cerone, Underwood and Wilborn to NY. After 5 seasons with the Yankees, he was traded to the Braves for Brian Fisher. Butch Wynegar was the Yankees regular starter at the time and Ron Hassey was acquired as the back-up catcher pushing Cerone out.

Is Rick Cerone the type of player you are looking for in the HoSM, or do we need more at bats and a true everyday starter?

Replies: