nominating Rick Cerone for the HoSM
by plaid_pants (2024-01-09 20:58:50)

Long time lurker trying to pass the off-season and get a reference point for the qualifications required for the Hall of Sustained Mediocrity.

As a Yankee fan in NYC in the 1980's, my first though is to nominate catcher Rick Cerone.

Qualifications:
18 seasons
4,000 AB over 1329G
Career .245AVG .301OBP .343SLG 0.78OPS+
one of the few players to play for both the Expos and the Blue Jays...he was born in New Jersey

Arguments against:
- He only had 4 seasons in an 18-year career where he played over 100 games.
- He finished 7th in the 1980 MVP voting, but I don't really understand how. He had a 1.07 OPS+ and did throw out 51.8% of stolen base attempts, but I think there was mostly a halo effect from replacing the recently deceased Thurman Munson on the Yankees.
- He was 11 for 29 with 3HR batting against Nolan Ryan

Looking at the trades he was involved in, which gives a sense of perceived talent at the time...The Yankees acquired him from the expansion Toronto Blue Jays in a 6 player swap. Chambliss, Damaso Garcia and Paul Mirabella to Toronto; Cerone, Underwood and Wilborn to NY. After 5 seasons with the Yankees, he was traded to the Braves for Brian Fisher. Butch Wynegar was the Yankees regular starter at the time and Ron Hassey was acquired as the back-up catcher pushing Cerone out.

Is Rick Cerone the type of player you are looking for in the HoSM, or do we need more at bats and a true everyday starter?

Could a mediocrity produce a song like "A Long Run Home"
by Flann  (2024-01-17 17:45:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and (attempt to) leverage the popularity of Urban Cowboy to support Earthquake relief in Italy? Could a mediocrity step in for Bo Derek to become the spokesperson for wannabe Jordache rival "10" jeans? Cerone was a little too interesting for sustained mediocrity.

HOSM manager nominee: Gene Mauch
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-10 16:00:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can’t imagine anyone could be more mediocre. 27 seasons, .483 win percentage,
93 max wins, made playoffs twice, zero playoff series won. His 3 best teams all collapsed: 64 Phillies (epic regular season collapse), 82 Angels (blew 2-0 lead in 5-game series to Brewers), and 86 Angels (Dave Henderson HR off Donnie Moore).

Mauch loved the bunt
by sprack  (2024-01-12 16:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was the David Ross of his day.

Offsetting with a Met nominee: Easy Ed Kranepool
by sprack  (2024-01-10 13:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He also played 18 years, racking up a paltry .693 OPS.

5400+ AB
Career .261AVG.316OBP.377 SLG 0.98 OPS+

He was an original Met (played 3 games in 1962), a native New Yorker (from the Bronx!) and never played for another team. It's an amazing accomplishment when you think about it.

Kranepool was the subject of a classic Stengelism...
by Scoop80  (2024-01-11 16:27:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CASEY STENGEL: Asked about the prospects for two of his twenty year-old players, Ed Kranepool and Greg Goossen: “In ten years, this guy has a chance to be a star. In ten years the other guy has a chance to be thirty.”

Kranepool definite yes. HOSM so far...
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-10 16:13:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Re Kranepool - even his one all-star appearance is a standard bearer for mediocrity - .253 with 10 HR, I assume as the token selection from the 111-loss Mets.

So far we have the following players: Jorgenson, Quirk, Cerone, Kranepool.

City selected as San Diego.

I nominate Jack Murphy as the mediocre home stadium, since the new one in SD seems too nice.

We also have a nomination for manager that I opened up, for Gene Mauch.

Mauch absolutely. Speaking of Jamie Quirk
by sprack  (2024-01-11 17:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was on his way to ND as a quarterback (had signed an LOI), very highly recruited, but signed a baseball contract instead.

He fits the criteria pretty perfectly.
by voidoid  (2024-01-10 09:03:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Anybody that can hang around for 18 seasons with a career WAR of 8.1 is doing just enough.

Agree.
by bizdomer09  (2024-01-10 12:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His 1980 season is slightly problematic with the 4.1 WAR and the top-10 MVP consideration, but that was an extreme outlier and outweighed by the other 17 seasons of sustained mediocrity. Zero black ink. Maybe fewer ABs than ideal but there’s allowance for a catcher. I had no idea he stayed around that long. I would have guessed 7 or 8 seasons.

Welcome Rick Cerone! Well done mediocre and faithful servant.

there is a danger the HoSM will be flooded with Catchers
by plaid_pants  (2024-01-10 17:24:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and shortstops. Our next nominations should be at RF and 1B.