Oakland doing God’s work at the moment *
by David Rivers (2024-03-21 21:28:21)

This user did not provide content for this post

Cal got outcoached.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 09:33:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just like USC/Oregon, he never adjusted to their zone. They played their man offense whole game.

And even with the 37 year old going unconscious from deep, UK was reading right there at the end. If they play 10 times, UK wins be double digits 9 of those times. But that’s why March is different.

he is not a good in game coach *
by DBCooper  (2024-03-22 10:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, he’s not. At least not anymore.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 10:27:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There’s an argument to be made that early in his career he was better than he is now.

Even 10 years ago, his teams weren’t overwhelming you with 8 and 9 NBA players like Pitino did in the 90s.

There’s a really compelling argument to be made that he’s, at best, the 4th best coach in that conference behind Barnes, Pearl, and Oats. That’s not mentioning that fact that Chris Beard was hired by Ole Miss after his controversial firing at Texas and Rodney Terry comes into the league next year.

My bracket had 15/16 correct
by tf86  (2024-03-22 09:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Three guesses as to the game I missed, and the first two don't count.

$33M buyout for Coach Cal *
by Groundhog  (2024-03-22 01:06:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pocket change for the boosters who will pay to have him gone
by cujays96  (2024-03-22 10:35:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and fill the coffer for the next overpaid person.

He didn’t do himself any favors with his presser.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 10:42:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Basically throwing his team under the bus by saying that they’re freshman so the expectations should be lower. But like any coach with too much power, he had to run his mouth instead of just congratulating Oakland and moving on.

I think UK fans can stomach the loss, but the idea that there’s no light at the end of the tunnel is going to be something that sticks in their teeth.

He keeps talking about sending young men to the NBA…
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-03-22 12:08:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t know how any UK fan would give a shit about that when the program keeps falling short of expectations in March.

It’ll be an interesting 12 months for Wildcat fans.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 12:53:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The lack of postseason success has gone from fluke to pattern. And Cal doesn’t have enough rings to save his job forever. Add to that the fact that Alabama and Tennessee have caught, if not passed them, is going to be a very serious issue for Cal going forward.

The fans have turned against him.
by civil_engr05  (2024-03-22 13:25:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There was a decent percentage that had turned on him before the season. Now it's the overwhelming majority that think it's time for him to move on.

Yet they’re still putting 19k in the arena every game.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 14:15:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thus, a Notre Dame type conundrum.

UK wore their white uniforms but forgot their hoods. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2024-03-22 00:14:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During the season, Oakland had 6 different players lead the
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-21 23:39:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

team in scoring in a game. Gohlke only led the team 5x. Balanced scoring, especially if several guys can go off in any game is what makes a team dangerous. The Irish have that potential for next season if the development we saw this season continues and a big man is found in the portal or Njie takes a major step forward. Sundra is a stretch 4 that likely needs a season of college nutrition, weight training and experience before he can be a true force.

I’m really hopeful about the gains Davis, Booth and Roper
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 23:48:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

can make with this staff on the offensive side of the ball in the off-season. Also if Burton can raise his 3-pt percentage to 40% - watch out.
Maybe we’ll find a serviceable post player in portal.

JR is also a player that could take a big step forward. *
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-22 15:38:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven’t given up on JR. I think if he really buys into
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-22 18:13:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

what the staff is doing with individual skill development. His game could trend upward. One Noie article I read made it sound like JR was playing through injury at the end of the season. That would explain the drop off in PT and production from JR. He’s a helluva athlete. Let’s hope he works his ass off this off season.

And that's why the NCAA tournament is a crapshoot
by chicos bail bonds  (2024-03-21 21:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to some extent. A guy hits 10-20 from the 3 pt line and you are going to get bounced. Oakland is an intriguing team. I don't know that Gohlke can replicate that game but they do have a few pieces where I could see them making a run.

Somewhere, that bigot Rupp & Joe B. Hall commiserate...
by Scoop80  (2024-03-21 21:46:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure whether there's a fire in front of them.

Rupp wasn’t a monster when he got to Lexington.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 10:21:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He actually coached an integrated team in Illinois. But most people argue that Lexington changed him into the bigot that he was at the end of his career. There’s some minor evidence that he softened a little after he was forced into retirement.

Hall did what he could given the political and social environment in Kentucky at the time. He was t Dale Brown or CM Newton, but he did what he could.

I know it’s deeply unpopular these days to give people a pass because “that was just the era”, but it’s a legitimate argument.

I hate Hall b/c of the GD "neutral court" game, b/c of the..
by Scoop80  (2024-03-22 11:02:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

intrinsic sleaze of the UK MBB program that continued on his watch, and b/c of his general persona. I know nothing about his attitude on racial matters. I also know nothing about Rupp pre-UK, but his bigotry in that position is an established fact.

Yes, yes it is.
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 12:00:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And nobody of any seriousness argues that he wasn’t a dyed in the wool racist during the vast majority of his time there.

As far as the “neural court” stuff, keep in mind that the majority of the arenas in the SEC were, at best, a really bad joke in from the 50s to the mid 70s. LSU put down a wood floor over dirt in their Ag Arena (the aptly named “Cow Palace). Other arenas were little more than glorified high school gyms. Some even still had stages on one end.

Were they a sleazy program? Without a doubt. Three players were caught taking bribes from gamblers during the NIT and all three were essentially banned for life from basketball for it. But it’s hard to single them out among all the other gambling scandals of the era.

Cal's recruiting >>>>>>>coaching, but he's a Catholic ND fan *
by Irish2003  (2024-03-22 01:45:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They're sitting next to Yost, Crisler, Bo, and JoePa. *
by arasera  (2024-03-22 00:19:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So sad Pitino, Calipari didn't win an NCAA game this year. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-21 23:46:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add Jeff Walz to that list for the trifecta! *
by JACC1203  (2024-03-22 21:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Always hated them for stating Louisville is a neutral court
by Namurtha  (2024-03-21 22:10:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m guessing they’re both surrounded by fire.

this is why I hate them *
by discNDav  (2024-03-22 06:15:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is that now 3 higher seeded SEC team losses today? *
by ndaero93  (2024-03-21 21:45:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yep, though I never consider a 9 beating an 8 an upset *
by Cheg80  (2024-03-21 22:21:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1st weekend of the NCAAs is the greatest spectacle in sports *
by Jvan  (2024-03-21 21:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really is fun. It will be more fun when Micah gets us
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 23:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

back into it. I think NIT next year and then NCAA when Burton is a junior.

It’s coming to football
by DBCooper  (2024-03-21 23:16:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get excited…

I never thought they would keep it up after half-time *
by Raoul  (2024-03-21 21:49:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe someone will block the UK team bus from leaving *
by ND44  (2024-03-21 21:40:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So my understanding is that ND has as many NCAA tournament
by beancounter  (2024-03-21 21:40:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wins in the last 3 years as UK? More if you count Dayton?

We are all Golden Grizzlies
by Raoul  (2024-03-21 21:39:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't even think of Oakland as real college 40+ years ago growing up in the Detroit area. Beating UK is awesome.

When MSU opened on the Oakland campus in 1957...
by ndmck  (2024-03-22 12:15:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my dad took continuing ed classes. Later he took kids from our parish to swim at the pool. OU presented local and affordable access to college and graduate school. My wife earned two advanced degrees from OU. We used to meet at a restaurant near the campus when family birthdays fell on a class night. One year her final paper was due December 20th. We scrambled getting our Christmas tree on 12/23. ("How much for this tree?" "What'll you give me?") More than a handful of my law school classmates and legal colleagues attended OU. It has been fun and inspiring to watch OU grow from a start-up "dash school" into an independent research university with a medical school. We loudly cheered OU on last night at a favorite brewery on the heels another family birthday dinner. Go Grizzlies!

Does Goehlke have a NIL fund?
by Scoop80  (2024-03-21 21:32:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I want to donate to it.

He’s a 32 year old day trader. What does he need NIL for?
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 09:26:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If that guy is 24, than so am I.

Yes, social security. *
by Slotts  (2024-03-21 23:29:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

10/20 from three. 32 points off the bench. I can’t believe
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 21:41:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their coach has been at Oakland 40 years.

It is a great NCAA story *
by Raoul  (2024-03-21 21:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes it is. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 22:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's from a local high school - same as the Watt brothers.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-21 21:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Their girls BB team just won state.

He graduated with JJ. *
by usaf_irish  (2024-03-22 09:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Oakland's Trey Townsend from Oxford HS - sister was in the
by Raoul  (2024-03-21 21:58:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ethan Crumbley school shooting. Lots of wild ties to big stories here.

18 seconds left *
by irishrock  (2024-03-21 21:29:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how does Calipari survive this one *
by irishrock  (2024-03-21 21:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally irrefutable proof: there is a God *
by David Rivers  (2024-03-21 21:37:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Attn. Richard Dawkins: It's not too late to come around. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-21 21:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

SEC! SEC! *
by EmilT76  (2024-03-21 21:39:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just means more. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-21 22:00:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It just means More *
by Scoop80  (2024-03-21 21:44:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post