A guy on Reddit had this set up
by WilfordBrimley (2017-04-10 17:54:26)

In reply to: I would suggest that the group stage games  posted by KeoughCharles05

that I thought made some sense:

"For the 8 groups you set them up as follows:
Group 1: Pacific Northwest (Seattle, Vancouver, San Fran)
Group 2 : Canadian Northeast (Toronto, Ottowa, Montreal)
Group 3: American Northeast (New York, Philly, Boston)
Group 4: American Midatlantic (DC, Charlotte, Atlanta)
Group 5: Florida Group: (Tampa, Miami, New Orleans)
Group 6: Did someone say texas? (Dallas, Houston, Austin)
Group 7: Southwest (Phoenix, L.A., Mexico City)
Group 8: Midwest (Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland)
Then you just consolidate the regions for the Round of 16, and Quarters. You can do this in North America, because unlike Brazil, all these cities already have state of the art billion dollar stadiums that only need a FIFA logo painted on them to be World Cup ready. So you can literally have a 24 venue world cup.
Edit: Just as an example, you can consolidate the Round of 16 and Quarter groups like this -
R16 - P. Northwest v. Southwest, Midwest v. Canada Northeast, NE v. Midatlantic, Florida v. Texas
In this case 1st in the P. Northwest group plays 2nd in the Southwest group and vice versa in the main venue of each regional block.
Quarters - Block 1 (P. Northwest, Southwest, Florida, Texas) and Block 2 (NE, Midatlantic, Midwest, Northeast)
In this case, for example, the winner of the P. Northwest v. Southwest matchup would play the winner of Florida v. Texas matchup.
Semis- One in the south, one in the north both located centrally (say Houston and Chicago)
Final - Major city (NYC or LA)"

I would tinker with it: substitute one or both of Guadalajara and/or Monterrey for Austin, replace Phoenix with Denver, replace Cleveland with Minneapolis, but there are some good initial thoughts in there.

For 2022, it would look like this
by blarneygreen  (2017-04-15 22:30:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1: a stadium in the flipping desert.
2: a stadium in the flipping desert.
3: a stadium in the flipping desert.
4: a stadium in the flipping desert.
5: a stadium in the flipping desert.
6: a stadium in the flipping desert.
7: a stadium in the flipping desert.
1: a stadium in the flipping desert.

SF is not Pacific NW-3 cities Portland, Seattle, Vancouver *
by Domerduck  (2017-04-11 05:23:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Portland is not getting a match.
by WilfordBrimley  (2017-04-13 02:08:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will do only one of Seattle and Portland and, at very most, two of three of Seattle, Vancouver, and Portland.

Not to mention that Portland would have triple the size of their stadium to even be in the conversation.

Could Autzen hold a pitch? Or too small? *
by Wooderson  (2017-04-17 12:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That looks like it's designed for 32 teams with 8 groups
by KeoughCharles05  (2017-04-10 18:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And not the 48 teams with 16 groups of 3 that I thought was the actual setup.

I do like the idea of the setup if it was a 32 team tournament, and completely agree with most of your substitutions (Austin would be a terrible place for a World Cup game, and Guadalajara is awesome, so...).

Mexico and Canada are getting 10 games each
by fontoknow  (2017-04-11 08:40:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That suggests to me two sites in each country.

I think that probably means Vancouver and Toronto in Canada; and Mexico City and either Guadalajara as you suggest, or Guadalupe.