So.... I did not like the Arena hire
by blarneygreen (2017-03-26 14:27:28)

and I still don't. But I have to say, admittedly against inferior competition, that we looked about as good as I have ever seen Team USA look in that game.

Our offensive movement was spectacular. Altidore played his best game in a US jersey without even scoring; his passes were perfect and he drew the defense to him all night. Pulisic played like a top ten "10" in the world (yes, I know we can't always expect that from an 18 yo).

The sickest part is we didn't even get all we could have from Nagbe.

Bradley looks so much better deep-lying like this.

About the only part of our game I didn't think was fantastic was the back line, where we still don't always look properly organized. One of the CB's needs to emerge as the Alpha back there and set the defense. And Bedoya did not impress. And Zusi can suck it.

But my goodness, if we can field just this exact team - without even counting on folks coming back from injury, just these guys - we will qualify and look more threatening than we have in decades.

So, to bring this back to Arena - it seems to me he benefited a great deal by not over-coaching. He just put the pieces on the field and told them to let it rip, and they did. And maybe that constitutes coaching genius of sorts.

Replies: