I saw/see things a bit differently.
by NDMike2001 (2017-03-27 10:27:22)

In reply to: I thought Bedoya and Nagbe were quite good.  posted by baloo88

I'm not sure that I saw any real kind of adjustment with respect to Bedoya (or Ledgett) and Nagbe.

For some reason Honduras didn't sit back as expected and went with a higher line in the back. That allowed for Altidore or Dempsey to alternate dropping back and defend a bit more. Because Honduras had more possession than expected, the two wide midfielders did drop back more making the diamond kind of play like a 4-3-3 with a very narrow 3 up top. Anyway, the effect is as you described (less isolation of Bradley), but I just didn't see it as anything Arena did. It was more on how Honduras chose to attack from the outset. And that played into our hands because our players are generally better on the ball. Especially Pulisic, who is really becoming world class.

Anyway, I think we're screwed with Jones back. He's not disciplined enough to keep our shape in the back. And I agree that Bradley will suffer immensely. At some point Bradley decided that he was going to be a tika taka #6. He rarely dribbles and simply looks to quickly pass the ball to an open space in the midfield. It's really sad to watch. He was once a class player. And while he still covers a decent amount of ground on defense, he seldom offers anything on offense - and he's always at risk for a bad give away.