I think it might be a hidden blessing
by ravenium (2024-03-06 14:13:38)
Edited on 2024-03-06 14:14:34

In reply to: I am not sure I agree on the gluten free predilection  posted by WilfordBrimley

Think of all the restaurants that now have gluten free and vegetarian options now that didn't before. It provides options when previously it was "I'll scrape em off for ya's".

I didn't consider the scenario of having to contend with a household member having dietary restrictions - I was thinking of restaurants. Still, my mistake - sorry about that!

My general defensiveness comes from having in laws that were type 1 diabetic. People using equipment not intended for them in a medical context because some internet doctor told them irks me a bit.

I also think the general "ha ha diabetes will come for them!" sentiment around type 2 diabetics causes some splash damage to type 1 families, and it's frustrating.

I'd made (maybe incorrect?) assumptions that hearing someone wax poetic about being gluten free would rankle you a bit when you have someone with a medical condition, but maybe I'm just amped up unnecessarily.