A note to krudler
by Barney68 (2024-03-04 16:40:23)

You asked about my beliefs that might once have been GOP or conservative some days ago. I meant to answer, but the world got in the way. These answers may or may not be responsive to that question, but I’m doing my best.

1. I believe in the Constitution. It was written by some very smart, educated guys. I believe in it as it has been interpreted over the years since 1788; stare decisis. And for those who would argue that we should keep explicitly to the wording as the folks writing it meant it at the time, I offer this word of caution: the fellows who wrote the Second Amendment understood "arms" to be muzzle loaders, swords, and daggers. [Note: give me the power and "the Pledge" will be to the Constitution, not the flag.]

2. I believe in the rule of law, that we are a nation of laws and not of men. That is a very different meaning than the "law and order" trope as it has been brandished by the GOP for half a century. I'm embarrassed that I repeated it myself many times before I really understood the hypocrisy of those shouting it and the symbolism it encompasses.

3. I believe that perhaps the most important part of the Constitution and the rule of law is the peaceful transfer of power at the end of elected terms of office. Every other aspect of citizen involvement in our government depends on this; it is the rock on which our republic is built. The hypocrisy of those who call for “law and order” but refer to the January 6th rioters (I originally typed “insurrectionists” but one might argue that; that it was a riot is beyond doubt) as "hostages" or "political prisoners" or "innocent tourists" sightseeing in the Capitol Building is astounding even by politician standards.

4. I believe that, while it's not necessary to balance the budget (this is a complicated analysis), it is necessary to have a responsible approach to both deficits and to debt; they are different. Now, we have neither. Our deficits are out of control and our debt threatens the nation's financial health. There is no way to achieve a responsible approach without increasing revenue (increase taxes and collections from evaders) and reform (Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid). If money is to be cut from the budget (as it should be), DoD must be cut. If anyone tells you this isn't necessary, I suggest reading the budget (https://www.govinfo.gov/app/collection/budget/2023) because you can pretty much eliminate everything else on the discretionary side and not get the job done.

5. I believe that anybody who opposes increasing the IRS enforcement budget, which would enforce existing law to significantly increase revenue, yet says that he believes in "law and order" or a “balanced budget” must be lying about something. (https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-ramps-up-new-initiatives-using-inflation-reduction-act-funding-to-ensure-complex-partnerships-large-corporations-pay-taxes-owed-continues-to-close-millionaire-tax-debt-cases)

6. I believe in free trade within the limits imposed by national security, e.g., computer chips, or predatory behavior by other governments, e.g., solar arrays. Tariffs are just taxes paid by the consumer to protect inefficient domestic industry. Adam Smith is my guy here. The world has changed since 1776, but he was right on a lot of things.

7. I'd say I believe in "small government," but that's not really possible today. Our world and economy and polity are simply too complex for a "small" government. The government that Ike ran didn't have to worry about the Internet, jets flying into buildings, bioengineering at the individual DNA strand level, cyber warfare and cyber threats, possible attacks on our space assets, the list goes on. Right size government. That's smaller than we have, but a lot bigger than Ike had, too.

8. I believe in peace through strength. Part of our place in the world is to command respect. Part of commanding respect is picking our battles and knowing what we are attempting to accomplish with them. People complain about the withdrawal from Afghanistan, I grumble about the attempt to build a liberal democracy in an area that is far from ready for it. People complain about supporting Ukraine, I see “America First” today as being just as misguided as “America First” when Lucky Lindy was saying it. At least he changed his tune when the war did arrive.

9. I believe that the government is there to govern, not to demand perfect fealty to one political agenda or another, and not to avoid solving problems because it might be eliminate a political issue as was the case a few weeks ago with the bipartisan immigration bill that had been developed in the Senate. It’s especially not there to allow Members to bend the knee to a political boss rather than do their job. The examples abound.

I could go on, but this is more than enough. Let the empties fly!

How do you reconcile 4 and 8?
by EricCartman  (2024-03-05 16:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The defense budget is already low and taken the brunt of the cuts.

If you want to project strength, don't you need the ability to FSU when necessary?

Don't get me wrong, our military is still top notch. But will it stay that way without significant investment? Will we stay ahead of China? Can we fight on two fronts? All of that is a maybe at current spending levels.

not easily, but ...
by Barney68  (2024-03-05 17:10:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

1. pick our fights wisely.
2. use diplomacy to show our friends why, post trump and with America first rising, it is wise for them to be more engaged.
3. reduce congressional weapons systems versus military ones.
4. emphasize keeping the people of the military for long careers.

but a key is revenue enhancements. gotta tax.

My response would be a combo of ca3 and krudler's *
by El Kabong  (2024-03-05 14:43:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Very well said. Thanks for posting. *
by ndnjlaw  (2024-03-05 07:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Thanks for posting, certainly wasn't necessary.
by krudler  (2024-03-04 21:29:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think in concept we agree on a lot more of this than we disagree. I will say a lot of what is below can be bi-partisan, and not restricted to old school GOP or conservative. I'm not sure which of these are traditionally conservative, unless your argument is that liberals don't care about debt, deficits, or peace through strength. I wouldn't put #9 in either camp to be honest.

I think the only ones with which I take some issue are 5 and 7. On 5, our tax code is needlessly complicated, and the potential for a foot fault is quite easy. Biden's proposal on adding all of the extra agents was pitched saying it would not tax earners below $400k, which turned out to be false.
I think in this perfect world we're creating with a semi-balanced budget, real adjustments to entitlements, de-emphasizing nation building, and peace through strength, we can focus on a more simplified tax code that won't require such a large budget and need for audits. For now though, I'd be totally fine just funding the IRS to upgrade all their antiquated systems and help lines.

That thought on smaller government ties closely to point 7. I think there's more of a middle ground than what we currently have regarding the size of our government. I agree technology and other advancements have totally changed things, but if your position is that we can't meaningfully shrink the size of our government today while focusing on efficiencies we just have a fundamental disagreement. The volume of waste, fraud, and inefficiency in our government currently is legion. There are significant examples everywhere of government waste. And frankly when an organization reaches this size, inefficiencies, waste, and fraud are inevitably a by-product.

Anyway, like I said, we probably have more agreements than disagreements, and I appreciate your thoughtful reply. Have a good evening.

The problem with the "waste, fraud, and abuse trope is ...
by Barney68  (2024-03-05 08:51:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

that while it's real and the numbers look impressive, it's an illusion. Imagine WF&A amounts to 1% of spending, and I suspect that's high. In a $2 trillion budget, the maximum savings would be $20 billion. Since perfection is impossible, say you net $10 billion. A help, yes. A solution, no.

Note that Social Security is a very low overhead passthrough. Not much available there.

Medicare is a different story. The problem is that the complexity of modern medicine creates a lot of opportunity for poor cost control.

DoD is huge and a significant chunk of that budget's value is in the eye of the beholder. Guessing what will be valuable in future conflicts is very tricky as is being demonstrated in Ukraine.

On the Medicare problem I am far from a health care expert
by wpkirish  (2024-03-05 10:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

The "problem" is easy the solutions are difficult. I know this a gross oversimplification but at the core health care costs consist of health insurance payments, payments to providers (hospitals and doctors) and payments to drug manufacturers.

That means to control health care costs you have a few options.

1. Limit how much health insurance companies can charge.
2. Limit the amount providers can charge.
3. Limit how much Pharma can charge.
4. Limit how many times a person can make use of services.

AsI said this is not my area of expertise but at its core that is the problem. No one wants to tell companies what they can charge and no one wants to tell people that cant go to the doctor as much as they want. I know there are a host of solutions but at the end of the day I think they are all debates about how to best solve one leg of this equation.

typing with one hand, so please pardon caps, etc.
by Barney68  (2024-03-05 14:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

2. is already in the system.
5. is already in the system; paying for some excess stuff myself despite medicare.

3. is huge. let medicare negotiate pricing. limit advertising for hugely overpriced drugs. increase so-pays for optional stuff.

add 5., better policing for wf&a. simplify the billing system. my daughter does medical coding.

I fall somewhere very near this
by catripledomer  (2024-03-04 17:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I will say that for point number one, "arms" were critical for the citizenry to defend the country and themselves. While at the time they were muzzle loaders, swords, and daggers, if we are to be able to form a militia to overthrow oppressors (internal or external), then those arms are surely insufficient. DO NOT take this as making a case for people owning automatic weapons. Instead, this is just an observation on the original intent extended to modern times.

As to point number 5, I think it is feasible to hold thoughts of reducing the IRS and balancing the budget concurrently. The answer isn't in better enforcement of the existing, Byzantine tax code, but instead in an overhaul of the tax code dramatically reduce complexity and to not attempt to pick winners and losers ("progressive taxation").

Yes.
by Barney68  (2024-03-04 19:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My point about muzzle loaders was, in fact, about total reliance on Originalism. At the same time, the main reason militias were needed was to deal with potential slave revolts. That problem is solved.

On the IRS, embrace the power of "and." Better enforcement AND an improved tax code sound good to me.

I'm not certain that claim on the 2nd amendment is
by krudler  (2024-03-04 22:22:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

entirely accurate. While it potentially may have been A reason, it certainly wasn't the only, or main reason. There's plenty of research that points to other reasons.

Agreed it's not the only reason, but it was A reason.
by Barney68  (2024-03-05 08:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Slave owners lived with constant awareness of the danger they were in.

But, yes, the folks we're talking about were a bunch of revolutionaries.

You don't believe in brevity *
by ACross  (2024-03-04 17:07:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

What Crash believes in (link)
by sluredandstumbly  (2024-03-05 09:12:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I believe in a thing called love
by jt  (2024-03-04 22:48:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I believe I can fly
by enginerd194  (2024-03-05 10:40:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I'm leaving on a jet plane *
by Brahms  (2024-03-05 11:49:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Or gratuitous insults *
by Barney68  (2024-03-04 17:26:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I agree with all this. This is good. *
by Tarascan  (2024-03-04 16:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply